Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy Lesson For Observation

hiya everyone

i'm being observed after half term by a women from our LEA as part of my NQT induction :o . i'll be teaching numeracy looking at ordering and recognising numbers. has anyone got any simple but effective ideas for my lesson. thanks

AEK :D

One idea I have used many times with different classes is...

If you have a set of number tiles or similar- a good way to get the children engaged is to have them on the table so that you have to go and get them- but on your way back to the group accidentally drop them and then ask the children what are we going to do as we were going to do some number work but all the tiles are now muddled up- let them work together to sort them out.

I have then had a teddy who thinks that the tiles are houses and wants to visit different numbers- so I ask children to take teddy to the right house.

This I have also extended by having the number line, frog hats and a large dice- getting the children to recognise numbers and also teach the concept of adding on when looking at addition.

Hope that the observation goes well.

L

I like the ideas above! will be putting those into my numeracy bank!

A washing line is a good introduction to number lines either with pegs (good for fine motor skills also) or 'folded card' which is a bit easier to 'assemble'

Again I like the idea of a puppet 'getting it wrong' have a bag of numbers and pulling them out.

If you are going to have a whole class imput try and think of ways to get children each partcipating as much as possibble (number fans / cards, whiteboards) aswell as using the trusted old fingers!

Well said, Ladybug, you are absolutely right about involving ther children as much as poss in as creative a way as practicable.

I also use a ounting stick (actually a pole with alternate red and white stripes) which has velcro along it for the attachment of velcro-backed number cards. I show the numbers randomly to the children and they have to work out where to put them by counting the stripes on the pole. It's great for introducing language - which numbers are missing? which number comes next/after/before? what number will go here? etc etc.

Variations:

- put all the numbers on in random order for the children to sort out

- put just a few numbers on and the children have to say what's missing

- put some numbers on upside down

Numeral recognition - you could use a feely bag and slowly reveal plastic/wooden numbers (the children could find the corresponding number on thir number fans). Do the children notice if you reveal a number backwards/reversed?

Independent activities could be to sequence number cards/ magnetic numbers etc or to write in missing numbers on a numberline (extension group?)

Good luck :o

Great ideas - teddy above could also have a letter for each house.

We have a number rhyme each week some times they last a couple of weeks we have been singing 5 little snowmen fat - I have snowmen pictures each snowman has either 1,2,3,4,5 buttons children put them on the magnet board in order you could also use numerals. We also have laminated cards on the playdough table and children have to put the correct number of buttons on the snowmen/ladies there as well

I also use 3D objects sausages in a pan, 5 little speckled frogs

Like the idea of children guessing numbers as they come out of the bag - this was popular with my class last ter so much so that they used to play it as pairs with the bag

I recently got puppets from site called 'puppets by post'. They are hand puppets, one is 5 cheeky monkeys and another is 5 little ducks. I am sure they also got 5 speckled frogs,too. They got pocket on the back where you can put a card with number on. They worked so well with my children, and they were only about £5 each. Have a look, may be worth.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)