Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A New Baby Sister

Hi

I'd like to plan a session for a boy (aged 3) who has a new baby sister. I have thought about introducing it by reading a book 'New Baby' by V Bloom, D Axtell. I will ask Mum to bring in some baby photos and encourage him to talk about them with the children in a group session. I know he is at a comfortable stage to do this as he brought in a 'Big Bro' medal and I asked him to talk about it with the children, which he did confidently.

The girls love having the prams dolls, clothing etc out at the moment so it would be a 'hit' with them! But I'd like activity ideas for the boys. I was thinking of providing them with a catalogue and getting them to cut and stick what they think a baby needs.

But I would love to hear how you have tackled this situation.

You might find all the children enjoy washing the dolls in a baby bath (or the water tray). Lots of foamy bubbles, whisks and other equipment so they can investigate making the bubbles at the same time, talcum powder to put on the 'babies' afterwards etc etc. No reason boys can't be involved directly in playing with the dolls and you may find that talking about it and modelling the baby washing makes them eager to have a go - just make sure the girls don't monopolise it first as I find sometimes that you have to 'capture the moment' so to speak with boys if you want to involve them willingly in activities that are traditionally girls play. After the whole class discussion they're interest will be at its highest and that's probably the time to get them involved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)