Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Direct Access To Outside - Anyone Got A Good Solution?

Hi all. We are opening a new preschool room which unfortunately does not have direct access to an outside area. A patio can be accessed through an adjoining room (2-3's) but it will mean that the children will not be able to free flow onto the patio. The room will only be staffed by two members of staff (max 14 children) so it would be difficult to have a member of staff out on the patio and one in the room. We are looking into making direct access to the outside, but its going to be pricey (needs a door and risen decking) and I'm worried this will be far far in the future. Any advice or suggestions would be greatfully received :). Oh by the way we are a day nursery.

We had exactly this problem in our 3-5's room, however I managed to secure 5k grant from the Aearly Years Capital Grant fund (I think that's what its is/was called), we had to meet certain criteria, but being able to access outside was one of them so we knew we'd get some money; in fact we got what we asked for.

We have 3 rooms in the nursery without direct access to outside, we ensure that the children, mostly babies get out a few times a day, to the main garden or for a walk. We have also invested in daylight bulbs which have made a big difference.

Good luck!!

Hi I also have no direct access to the outside, I'm upstairs in a school, up a couple of flights of stairs. We have 48 children in 2 classrooms. We take it in turns each half term to go outside (1 class at a time) either from 9am to 10.15 or from 11 am to 12. It does means that 24 children at a time are out, but as we have quite a big space it works for us considering we do not have direct access.

Does anyone have any ideas for a pre-school with NO access to a safe or available outside area. We're incorporating some walks into planning each week and of course we bring the outside in constantly...

Does anyone have any ideas for a pre-school with NO access to a safe or available outside area. We're incorporating some walks into planning each week and of course we bring the outside in constantly...

Hi hun....we did not have any outdoor access at the pre school i used to work at, so we used to plan walks into the sessions a couple of times per week, and also used to take the children out to play ball and stuff on local green areas. It was hard work staffing and risk assessing these areas, but it was the only way the children got to access outside play.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)