Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Planning - My Head Is Hurting

Hello

I have been in reception for a number of years but was on mat leave during the whole EYFS implementation. I have read the documents cover to cover but never went on EYFS training. Therefore I have gaps which I would love it if people could help fill! Or just let me know if I am correct;

1) Do I have to have Medium Term Planning or can I just plan straight to weekly plan from the children's interests?

2) I have set whole class sessions which I plan for (about 3 per day) - these are planned the week before and are set for the following week

3) I have 45 children in the class (2 teachers, 2 nursery nurses) - Do i need focused activities each day? I usually have them within the continuous provision areas and adapt according to ability e.g. water writing outside for low ability if it's a writing activity

Also, do you split your learning objectives up for each half term? I used to do this but I'm not sure now.

any help would be great and if anyone has a blank weekly plan i could look at that too would be good. This is driving me crazy. :o

Edited by Guest

Hi

Everyone plans differently and what's important is that is useful to you.

We started out by looking at the 40 - 60 statements and deciding which of them were covered by continuous provision and environment.

The rest we divided up and stuck them onto 6 sheets of paper, according to progression (T1 through to T6).

Each term we look at these and decide how we could address them according to the children's needs and interests and sometimes we do mini topics.

We don't do weekly plans but do do daily plans which we only plan 1, or at a push, 2 days in advance..... the rest we fill in according to what we've observed and next steps learning.

As we have 120 children in Reception FS, we can not have freeflow, but everychild is invited to go outside at some point during the day. It is their choice whether to go or not but outside we have 2 focus activities: one is skills based and the other addresses one of our LI's and takes what we are learning about inside, outside, as well as other activities which the children decide.

This is what we do but it may not suit you....

week_1_6th_Jan_FSFE.doc

daily_plan_blank.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi

thank you for your reply. It's difficult as I am part time (I work mornings only until 12 noon) so I am not there at end of day to plan for next day and nursery nurses do not stay as they do not get paid. Which leaves the other teacher who is not early years trained and would be unable to plan on her own for the following day. I really like your plan and wish I could use it. I may take the format and adapt for a weekly one (hopefully my days are going to change to 3 full days in soon which will be better).

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)