Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning And Assessment

Hali, I think that depends on how well they have been trained. :o Ofsted will be looking at the 5 outcomes from "Every Child Matters" which incorporates BTTM, FSC and the 14 National Standards.

We do need to plan but I feel for 0-3yr olds it's the resources we plan to provide that are most important and not specific adult intentions on "how" the children access them. But that is only my opinion. :D . The five outcomes are;

· be healthy

· stay safe

· enjoy and achieve

· make a positive contribution

· Organisation

The last one, I would think Inspectors will want to see some planning.

Peggy

I've usually found that what they are looking for is that you can explain and defend your position - i.e. you've thought out your rationale for doing things a particular way. Unfortunately though there's still this ongoing concern that it might depend on who you get ---

If you look at Ofsted's recent publication - Firm Foundations - which Peggy kindly brought to our attention (sorry, don't know how to link to it!) there is a case study on page 13 regarding BTTM -

"Extensive planning is in place following the Birth to Three Matters Framework. Each planned activity is colour coded to link it with the skills and competencies in the framework. For example, in the baby room al the babies were playing with the water tray containing bubbles and green glitter. All the babies were taking part with their "special carer" and encouraged to feel, splash , experiment and investigate the water. Colour coded files contain more examples of activities such as this, identifying links with the releveant aspects of the framework and accompanied by photographs. The staff complete observations again following the framework."

I think the key word here is in the second sentence - "each planned activity..." So, as I read it, you would have your continuous provision/easy access toys and resources which could have generic 'planners' or 'thoughts' as someone put it in an earlier post, and then for acitivities that were adult-directed, you would complete a plan for resources, language to be used, target children for observations (if used) and space for an evaluation and notes on individual children.

I imagine that you could soon build up a stock of plans using this idea that can easily be accessed if children showed an interest in an activity, or a child had been identified with a learning need in a particular area.

Not sure how it would work in practice, but if Ofsted are quoting it as an example of good practice, it could be something to work towards...

Hi Running Bunny,

I was reading that text last night ( and then felt the need to go up the pub for alcoholic substance).

When BTTM was 1st published it was described as "guidance" and not compulsory but lo and behold here we have it, a compulsory curriculum for children aged 0-3 yrs. :o

I am all for knowing what we are doing, interacting with children in a knowledgable, stimulating manner but my concern is still that as soon as a plan is written by an adult it takes away childrens opportunity for exploration and discovery. And especially at this age when they are developing their own schema's.

Also, I think the funding should come first to pay my staff for all the extra planning ( yes we have always planned for all age ranges in my setting 2-5yrs), but time is now taken to "translate" our planning into a format just so that Ofsted inspectors are able to "judge" us because their skills ( or knowledge of child development in practice) is not transferable to understand my plans which come from my knowledge of child development and learning through play, they even need us to colour code our plans to link to the "Compulsory curriculum" .

Sorry no offence to Ofsted Inspectors intended by I want to shift the balance of my feeling of total inadequacy to someone else. I have files, folders, video's, CD Roms, DVD's from surestart, DFES, Ofsted etc,all telling me about what I have practiced for the last 20 yrs (and some in a manner which I find quite condescending such as the BTTM Video) to the point that I am not even sure now how to suck eggs.

Rant over, totally disallusioned yet again.....must be coming near to the end of the holidays, I think I shall spend the next few days on a motivational/ positive thinking course :D

and of course add it to my personal development folder xD

Peggy

Oh dear, it sounds as though you have 'return to work' syndrome (even though you probably haven't stopped since you finished a few weeks ago!!)

I suggest you check out the INNER PEACE posting in the lounge - I'm dedicating it to you!!

With regards to BTTM, I can completely understand where you are coming from. I have the approach of the children come first and we are trained to work with children not work with a pen and paper. My mum 'fell foul' of the system as she had been working at a playgroup since I was 7 (all those years ago!) and, like many people, ended up running the group. She was great - well, I would say that - but seriously, the children were happy, Social Services were really pleased and then things changed and she had to gain a level 3 qualification - she was 58!!

No-one can say that she did not have the necessary skills to give those children the best start, meet the DLOs (as was), support her staff and do a damn fine job. She worked all hours to do the paperwork, but soon changed plans when the children took things in a different direction, which is what learning is all about... oh dear, this isn't making much sense... can I join you at the pub?

Anyway, I get where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, Ofsted are in place to protect those children that are not fortunate enough to have practitioners like you and countless others on this site and beyond looking after them, and it is people like you that end up drowning in paperwork as a result.

Keep smilin' and the children will make it all worth while when you go back!!

Guest ann waez

:) Ive just taken over a nursery for two to five years and will not get any training for BTTM til end of Sept , could you email me if you have any sheets we can start our planning and assessment with ,many thanks Ann

Thanks to all who have PM'd me. I have been working on some of the sheets tonight and have managed to sent emails to those who have hopefully with attachments in tow.  xD I'll be working on the other stuff between now and after half term so over the next 2 weeks and hopefully at the end of it I'll have a fully operational BTTM planning and assesment folder. Will let you know how it is going. Also I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who I send info to along with any other ideas to make it better/easier.  :D  I'm on a mission now to get on top of it all and in control. Once we've had the new style plans in operation for about a month I'm going to review and maybe get further outside advise through Surestart again. Now all I need is to get the staff to work alongside me here and we'll be well away.  :o

24689[/snapback]

I've just heard ( reliable source) that the whole "curriculum" is being re-written YET AGAIN, it will be inclusive of 0-6 yrs old and be out in about a year....Lesley Staggs is co-writing it...

So, my advice don't spend hours and hours on formating everything to FSC & BTTM because it will all have to change again!!!!!

Just look at what you do plan already and fit it to the BTTM jargon.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alisonjayne

Typical just as I have become comfortable with FSC & BTTM they decide to change it all!!!!

More reading and work, never a dull moment in this job

Ali

Hi all,

I am new to posting on this site, but am very interested in Birth to Three.

I am an accredited childminder, working with 2 other childminders in my own home.

We have up to 6 pre-school children, and at the moment they are predominently between 12 and 24 months, so B23 is the one!

Any help and guidance would be really appreciated!

I look forward to getting more involved with postings etc

Ellie :)

36002[/snapback]

The Surestart profile books only have to be filled out when the child reaches three and moves to the 3-5 group. Not before.

Can anyone give me a link to these profile books? I have been browsing the Surestart website, but cant find them

Thanks

Ellie

• 4 months later...

have recently joined the site and am working my way through old posts on relevant subjects.

I came across your post regarding Birth to 3 Matters planning & assessment, which I believe you have devised.

I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a copy of the sheets.

I am a registered childminder and need to know all about the birth to 3 matters framework. I can't get on any training until after easter.

Many Thanks

Samantha

For some reason - I am unable to pm you - maybe your inbox is full because of so many requests!!!

I'd appreciate it if you could send me the information you have so far on your profile/record sheets. They sound great. I'd be really interested.

Many thanks in advance

Rebecca

becsltd@yahoo.co.uk

I think you are experiencing a problem because amethyst isn't a full paying member any longer and has not been on the forum for several months. However, SmileyPR did copy and attach everything that had been sent to her. That post can be found here. Hope that is some help to you. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)