Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Area Help

I am trying to organise my outdoors area. At the moment I have a small canopied area which leads out onto the playground. Anything I get out during the morning must be tidied away not only at home time, but also playtime and lunch time. I have printed and laminated area cards - just like I have indoors, but have no idea how to do this outside.

Would you just have for example a maths box - and have loads of maths resources that the children can help themselves to and then put back, or would you actually zone off part of the outside area to do this? and if so what would you use to do this (and as cheaply as possible, as I believe I have no money to do this)

Also it needs to be pretty manageable as on several days I am the only member of staff with my class (mind you it is only 15) and so I can't spread out too far, if the children are going to be able to access both the indoors and the outdoors at the same time.

Thanks in advance for all your ideas,

Emily

Jemily jones, apart from the teeny class and no support your set up sounds like mine! Is there any chance of having osme money pumped into it? x

possibly, but not until at least after Easter, and then I have to see if the new head is willing - mind you still wouldn't know what to do if I did have money

Well i was the same as you bcause we have no fields only playgrounds and everybody lines up in a orning on it, it is ised on lunchtimes at at some point every class for playtime every day so the things were going in and out in and out!! But then when i was allowed some money we put a little fence up and got a yellow brick road painted on the floor so the other class stick to that road and dont touch our things and no one goes in on a morning!So would a liccle picket fence and gate be possible on your playgorund?

Hi, I would stick to items that are very easily portable, preferably carried by the children themselves.

For instance, some packs of outdoor chalks are great for mark making (I got some on ebay for a few quid recently, get the proper outdoor ones, the indoor ones just collapse).

Also just some pipes and balls and buckets and other stuff that they can experiment with (KUW).

Any chance you could have a large trough where they could do some planting? And perhaps that could be left outside permanently?

I am trying to organise my outdoors area. At the moment I have a small canopied area which leads out onto the playground. Anything I get out during the morning must be tidied away not only at home time, but also playtime and lunch time. I have printed and laminated area cards - just like I have indoors, but have no idea how to do this outside.

Would you just have for example a maths box - and have loads of maths resources that the children can help themselves to and then put back, or would you actually zone off part of the outside area to do this? and if so what would you use to do this (and as cheaply as possible, as I believe I have no money to do this)

Also it needs to be pretty manageable as on several days I am the only member of staff with my class (mind you it is only 15) and so I can't spread out too far, if the children are going to be able to access both the indoors and the outdoors at the same time.

Thanks in advance for all your ideas,

Emily

I got a lot of pipes and guttering free from a local UPVC supplier for windows, doors etc. These have been great for measuring, rolling balls and cars along, building, pouring water etc.. The list goes on. Worth looking in your local yellow pages and making a trip to try and fill your car boot up!! Have fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)