Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ruth Miskin Phonics

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone uses the Ruth Miskin phonics and could give me some advice. I have started a small group of children in my class on this programme - who I feel are ready to start learning phonics - they are very good at all 7 aspects of Phase 1 letters & sounds, are very aware of letters (they know most sounds already!) and are showing an interest in letter sounds & words. Ruth Miskin in used for teaching phonics in my school but only a certain number of people got to go on the training, so I'm trying to grasp the correct way of doing it from passed on information and through reading the handbook.

As these children have just turned 4 I want to make sure that the teaching is appropriate for them, so agreed with the Literacy co-ordinator that we would concentrate mainly on the reading aspect and not too much on the writing as this may not yet be developmentally appropriate in terms of their physical ability to write. I explained that for such young children the emphasis is on getting children to want to write, to begin ascribing meaning to marks and to develop their fine-motor skills through a range of activities so they develop the correct muscles to hold and control a pencil. The last thing I want to do is put pressure on these children to write and put them off it all together. She agreed that the children should not be held back in their reading because of their writing.

So, we started the programme and all was going fine until the Lit co-ordinator said that we could not continue past the first 5 letters unless the children could write these letters. This is not what the handbook says, in fact, it states on every page that it doesn't matter if the children's writing is untidy!

So, if there is anyone out their who is familiar with Ruth Miskin and can give me a bit of advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Green Hippo

Hi there - we've been using the Ruth Miskin phonics for nearly 3 years now. I would be inclined to agree with you on the writing side of things. If they are not developmentally ready then should not be pushed into writing too early. Through teaching the scheme, are they doing lots of writing the sounds in the air - large scale. They also do this on the IWB or large sheets of paper, paint and all the other ways you would encourage mark making. I certainly wouldn't hold back their reading for the sake of not being ready to write. They can show they capability to word build through the use of the magnetic sounds. I hope this is a little helpful.

Kittycat

Thanks, Kittycat - we do lots of writing in the air as well as in sand, gloop, paint etc and have started using the magnetic whiteboards & letters as in the handbook - from letter i. I really want to give these children a chance to progress with their reading as I feel they are ready but I'm desperate not to put pressure on them and to put them off altogether.

Thanks

Green Hippo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)