Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

15 Hours In Nursery Class

We currently have 2 sessions a day for 2.5 hours 5 days a week in a LA Nursery classl. Would welcome ideas on increasing to 3 hours a session. Thanks

We have added 15 mins to each end of each session so now work 8.45 -11.45 and 12.30 - 3.30

a few children attend all day but they have lunch in the attached private day care allowing our staff a lunch break (if parents turn up on time)

our head has also employed someone to clear up and set up between session

Hi, we have been offering 15hrs a week for quite a while now.

We do 9-12 and 12 -3, giving lunch at 11.30 to morning children and 12' oclock to pm children.

It's not ideal as we don't have any child free time but as the school finishes at 3, this is our only option.

Hopefully in september, hours may be extending til 3.15, so we will offer 9- 12 and 12,15- 3.15

Hope this helps

Gill

We have added 15 mins to each end of each session so now work 8.45 -11.45 and 12.30 - 3.30

a few children attend all day but they have lunch in the attached private day care allowing our staff a lunch break (if parents turn up on time)

our head has also employed someone to clear up and set up between session

Many thanks that is what I had considered adding 15 mins to each end of the session we dont have any full time children. Do all staff then work 6 hours plus buffer time at the start and end of the day?

Thanks for help

Hi we do as Gillie does......

9 - 12

12 - 3

11.30 -12.30 is actually lunch time but can be taken as part of the 3 hour provision as it is encouraging social skills etc.

We work like this to finish in line with school times.

Our parents can pay £1 to have the childrern stay the whole hour for lunch and as we move into the afternoon session the nursery goes private and so parents have the opportunity for full day care.

(After 3pm there is after school club)

We are on our 3rd year I think, as we were a pathfinder county trialing the 15 hour entitlement. It seems to work well and affords alot more flexibility in the system than we had previously

Edited by Scarlettangel

We started offering 15 free hours in September and a lunch club, plus extra sessions, for our nursery children. Lunch club costs the parents £3.40 per day, and extra sessions cost £10.20 per day.

The times are 9.00 - 12.00 mornings, plus -1.00 for lunch club. The afternoon session is 12.15 - 3.15, which includes 45 minutes lunch time.

As we are all part of a unit with six full time practitioners plus a meal time supervisor who works from 12.00 - 1.00 each day.

I have timetabled the team, so that two practitioners (rotated), plus the lunch lady cover lunches. Lunch breaks are taken either in the morning or the afternoon. With PPA time, plus an NQT, plus my management time has been a timetabling nightmare, but it does work. You have to have a team of team players for this to work, luckily I have.

I hope this is helpful !!

We did do 8-45 till 11-45 and 12-15 till 3-15 and the 3 nursery staff had their 30 mins dinner break in shifts but we found we never had any time as a team for planning or chatting about children so we now do 8-30 till 11-30 and 12-30 till 3-30. Now we get about 50 mins without children but have to have our lunch in that time. I as a teacher am teaching 6 full hours a day which is much longer than any other teacher in school and have a longer day than anyone else. We as a staff are much happier but I would like to know if any other nursery teacher does this and if so are they compensated in any way for the extra hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Please can anyone working in school explain how you are allowed to charge for the lunch hour as our EY team have been informed that the six hour clock starts as the children enter nursery and finishes after the allocated time [lunch time included] Therefore if we open doors at 8.45 the children who are accessing the six hours would go home at 14.45 and that we are not allowed to charge for the lunch session. If we choose to send them to the kindegarten[private] for lunch then the school have to pay for this session. Nightmare!

We are about to embark on Mon all day, Tue all day and Wed am OR Wed pm, all day Thu and all day Fri. Consulted with parents and this was their preferred option as previously all children had full time places. We are offering top ups as well for parents who want to pay for more sessions - appeared popular when offered earlier in year but now people appear to be making other arrangements - and it is not expensive!!!!

Wanted to avoid the short lunchtime and recurring "want" of morning places so should all work - she says - will let you know after Easter!!!

I do think a decent break for everyone is very important and together if possible as there is never any other time. Is very difficult to have decent professional discussions otherwise. THink it is very unfair of HTs to just say what is happening without consulting staff - no-one in KS2 would add an additional hour's teaching onto their day without being paid or without making a fuss. Our HT has been great at working with us all to get the best possible solution to the situation

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)