Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Intervention Groups

Hello,

I am having a problem with finding time for my additional educational needs group. I currently have: number recognition, handwriting + fine motor control development, social group and phonics(lower ability). They are carried out by my TA during register time in the morning and afternoon. On top of this my SENCO wants me to do Speech & Language programmes for children with identified difficulties every day.

My problem is neither me or my TA are trained in providing this kind of support + where do I fit this in without depriving the children of their CI time, which I believe should be 1 hour each session?

I am on the war path. Help!!! Any comments appreciated.

no helpful comments to offer i'm afraid just my sympathy we too are struggling with this - similar list of interventions and are finding its detracting both us and the chidlren from thier CI time. The only thing we managed to do to reduce time taken up was to combine some groups/targets as we found many children were in more than one group - so for example address PSE skills such as turn taking through a numeracy/phonics game.

Hello there

I am a teacher in a NUrsery Special support centre where the children all ahve speech and language needs. We poerate a free flow system of play and we work our speech programmes around this.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Speech work with a child so young does not have to take long 10 mins max so you can 'withdraw' a child for 1:1 work during a CI session

2. speech and language needs can be met through a child's play quite easily oince you have a detailed programme to follow from the Speech and LNaguage therapist.

3. Ask the SENCO to give you a programme from herself or the SALT and specific activities and ways of incorporating this into your daily routine eg modelling language to extend a length of utterance, activities to encourage speech sound development.

It sounds daunting, but honestly, once you know the specific areas for development it becomes quite easy and a part of the daily routine .

Hope this helps

Kate :o

Here are my thoughts:

1. Speech work with a child so young does not have to take long 10 mins max so you can 'withdraw' a child for 1:1 work during a CI session

2. speech and language needs can be met through a child's play quite easily oince you have a detailed programme to follow from the Speech and LNaguage therapist.

3. Ask the SENCO to give you a programme from herself or the SALT and specific activities and ways of incorporating this into your daily routine eg modelling language to extend a length of utterance, activities to encourage speech sound development.

Kate :o

Thanks for your suggestions, Kate!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)