Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

High Frequency Word Cards In Reception

Was just wondering what peoples views are on sending home high frequency word cards in reception??

should it be done?

or should it not?

Any thoughts most appreciated :)

until you have all the phonics I wouldn't as you could be giving mixed messages and if you are working to phonics the message is blending and segmenting so I wouldn't!

hey, well it is tricky again the old messgae of what your children are ready for. I have some very very able children this year who lap words up so i have got them a keyring to whch we add the tricky words as and when we cover them. They get them out and play teachers at home, they play snap with each other, allsorts. But then i have some who are just learning their first few sounds so adding tricky words would be too confusing for. x x x what are you thinking you want to do?

I send home cards with the letters on (in the order that they appear in letters and sound - and up to phase 3 week 2) and the children have to know the letter names and sound - when they can do that, then I send home the high frequency words, again in the order that they appear in letters and sounds.

Some children leave reception still on the letter cards, some finish all the word cards - but it is totally at the child's own individual pace (and push by parents!!)

Personally I think that if the child is ready, and if they are reading books with words in, then why not send home key words.

Emily x

I send home cards with the letters on (in the order that they appear in letters and sound - and up to phase 3 week 2) and the children have to know the letter names and sound - when they can do that, then I send home the high frequency words, again in the order that they appear in letters and sounds.

Some children leave reception still on the letter cards, some finish all the word cards - but it is totally at the child's own individual pace (and push by parents!!)

Personally I think that if the child is ready, and if they are reading books with words in, then why not send home key words.

Emily x

This is the way I do it too!

I send home tricky words once the children are ready for them. I have small cards with words on which attach to the tricky word train which ia just a laminated picture of a train, once the children know those words they have a carriage with some more words on. They love it and ask for the tricky word train if I forget to put it in the reading bag!

I haven't sent home tricky words since the dawn of letters and sounds (but sent 'sets' of high frequency words when we did the Playing with Sounds scheme before). I have found I haven't needed to because of how they are introduced and recapped in our phonics lessons. However, if I did send them home, I would send the ones they had been taught if that makes sense. But the parents might need training on how they are different to decodable words! Also, I like the keyring idea.

hey, well it is tricky again the old messgae of what your children are ready for. I have some very very able children this year who lap words up so i have got them a keyring to whch we add the tricky words as and when we cover them. They get them out and play teachers at home, they play snap with each other, allsorts. But then i have some who are just learning their first few sounds so adding tricky words would be too confusing for. x x x what are you thinking you want to do?

I like the idea of key rings. Where did you buy yours from? On bulk/cheap?

ood old Wilkinsons in the home section but most places like that do them. hen we just print a sheet of the tricky words for each child and laminate them then every week we just hole punch and pop one on. if you get the ones with paper in so you can write their names on to.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)