Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trying Out Free Flow

We are trying out freeflow in our preschool. We have gained alot of information from viewing other settings. We have two rooms plus an outdoor area. The staff are keen but nervous.

The children took a time to accept they can move freely from room to room and outside. Lots of energy and running about but good role play and imaginary play are being observed.

Any ideas on room layout or any advice you can offer on freeflow would be greatly received. xx

Hi, I wrote the free flow policy below when we started doing it last year. It is specific to our setting in that the main door in and out is also the free flow door. With the cold weather I've had to make a couple of amendments to the policy. I'm hoping as spring comes and the weather warms up, we will be back to free flowing at all times.

Free_Flow_Policy___updated_Jan_2010_without_names.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this.

It is something I will be working on as we move to all EYFS classes at school doing free-flow and this will be a great start to sit with the team as we develop our policy and practice, and then share with parents, and get their opinions on.

We sat together and made an outdoor timetable for the staff that ensures we all get equal amount of time outside, whilst most staff are keen in the winter when it is cold, icy and / or snowing and has been for a few weeks it is hard to be as enthusiastic! This makes it fair and of course allows everyone to be dressed approppriatly!

we to have free flow and have for the past 4 years, all weathers we go out

and we to have a set rota for staff so it is not the same person but the staff also know if all children choose to be out, then out they must go too :o

Once you get them out you can't stop them theres so much learning outside, had our Ofsed last week and she loved it that they choose to go and that the staff knew and listened to there needs.

We don't often put things outside and allow the children to set up what they want, lots of natural play with mud logs dirt etc

My staff are on a rota as it was them same people all the time however they have now realised thats it fun outside as long as they and the children are appropriately DRESSED.

Staff need to come in appropriately clothing everyday too then they will not be so nervous I always think that we as staff are learning as well as the children and it does us good to be a little unsure as we then know how the children feel :o

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)