Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics....

Sorry if this is a really silly question (but I'm going to ask anyway!)

My class are split into 4 groups (at the moment) for phonics. My TA and I each have a group while the other 2 groups read (look at books!) then we swap and the 2nd 2 groups work with us. This works really well, as far as having 4 smaller groups is concerned as I have found the children make better progress in smaller groups, and some are more confident to have a go, etc, in a smaller group. And of course the learning can be at the level needed more easily than if I had to do the whole class at once.

Anyway... the 'reading' the other groups do is good as it is a quiet activity, which means the others can concentrate on their phonics, and there often are not times for quiet activities - or rather, the children don't choose them!! However, I feel they could/should be doing something better/different to this but I don't know what - so does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

purplemagic

Hi, you could try some word matching activities, for instance giving them a set of words that are in the book, on laminated cards, and asking them to find those words within the book. You could do something similar with individual letters.

eee i get so giddy when a phonics discussion comes up. have you tried a forum search because we love to talk phonics and i know when iv asked in the past people have given me some amazing ideas!

Could you make a post box and get the children to post pictures or words that begin with your sound of the day or whatever your focus it?

Guest tinkerbell

If they are enjoying the quiet reading,why change?

alphabet jigsaws

phonic bingo game

we have laminated cards with pictures and an empty phoneme frame below for cvc using whiteboard pens..they can put their names on and you can check them wipe off

wooden or magnetic letters to make words

dough letters using letter mats

Tinkerbell

Thanks for those ideas - will give it some thought and will do a search (usually I do that before posting, but this time it didn't even occur to me!! Duh!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)