Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long And Medium Term Plan

Ever feel like your getting nowhere fast or nowhere at all !!

Please help - Ive spent the day doing planning- well what a waste of a day! Im now really confused and have probably looked at it too long!

Long term plan-

We have

- continious provision sheets in each area of provision

- a plan showing the celebration festival events etc

The plan also shows loose themes we are going to cover ie Seasons, Ourselves in September and so on-

my question is- do you show on your long term plan what areas of learning you will be covering relating to such themes, events etc

Medium term plan

Do you have a medium plan? If not how do you link long term into short term?

Do you use the learning intentions from the long term plan or from the childrens interests/needs?

Do you break the plan down into weeks and cover all areas of learning each week or the same 6 intentions for the whole duration of the plan?

Short term plan

We have loads!!! we are trying to cover aspects of learning from long/medium term and all the childrens interest activities/next steps- its too much!

Someone tell me where Im going wrong please.

I know there are a lot of questions could you try and answer all of them - Im desperate!!!

Hi, Ive been agonising over this for months and I have come to the following conclusions.

You need a MTP just to show where things like festivals slot in. That for us is just really simple - literally just topics we aim to cover and then some bits in red to show adult directed activities.

Our main planning is done via our continuous provision sheets. I have done these on A3 size paper so that there is space to write on them and make notes as we go along.

Then behind these (and this is where the 'planning' comes in), I am choosing what I call 'themes' (i.e. mini topics) related to the children's interests or to something that is relevant at that moment. For instance, this week we got into a whole 'footprints in the snow' thing related to the weather and we ended up making lots of tracks in different ways.

My 'theme' sheets have loads of ideas for each area of the continuous provision on this, but they are not a blueprint of what we are actually going to do, just ideas that can feed into what we observe about the children's interests.

Then what actually happens during session is written in retrospectively onto the large A3 sheets.

I hope that helps.

someone who shares my anguish and deliberation!!!

My planning sounds very familiar, have enhancement plans in areas of learning but trying to sort the whole short term planning / timetable saga out!

think nursery is very much responding to ch's interests instantly and doesnt allow for a weekly plan, but i also feel from my (teachers hat on!) that sadly I need, yet another piece of paper to highlight objectives being covered in adult led/ group time sessions. just wondered if you could share what you do and any examples of your planning

thanking you! :o

someone who shares my anguish and deliberation!!!

My planning sounds very similar, have enhancement plans in areas of learning but trying to sort the whole short term planning / timetable saga out!

think nursery is very much responding to ch's interests instantly and doesnt allow for a weekly plan, but i also feel from my (teachers hat on!) that sadly I need, yet another piece of paper to highlight objectives being covered in adult led/ group time sessions. just wondered if you could share what you do and any examples of your planning

thanking you! :o

Edited by Guest

For long term we have a grid showing 6 months in which we write the topic and special events and underneath simply circle the aspects we plan to cover in theat month for each area of learning, for example if we want to focus on linking sounds and letters in CLL we circle 3.

For the medium term I have a peage for each area and list the development matters we hope to cover. I then leave it on the side for the staff and (very rarely) parents to addd their activity ideas to.

At the end of the month I look at the longe term plan and highlight the aspects we actually covered, more often than not the children's interests have taken us mies away from what we set out to do!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)