Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Convincing Staff

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to bring the FS ethos up from reception through into years 1 and 2. So far the Y1 teacher has really taken onboard my ideas and has continuous play activities set up in their room, which they are using well. However the y2 teacher is very anti. He says that play will lower standards (which did need raising when he started, but....) He also has been out of the classroom for the last 6 years, so may y2 was less play based then (I don't know I was in the juniors then). I was wondering if anyone knew of any advise out there that I could give him to help convince him as I feel I am fighting a loosing battle, but am determined to win!!

Thanks for your help,

Emily

Emily

Why not try to get him to do some work alongside the Y1 teacher this year to see how on task the children are and what good stantards they are achieving so that by next year he will see that to continue with this approach will only benefit the childre, the teacher and the standards!

Also worth asking him what he thinks of the Rose review of the curriculum and the Alexander Report. See if you can find something that interests him outside school so for example is he into cricket, football etc and then ask him how the teams and players improve to raise their game and use this analogy to show how if we do the same approach in class what a difference it will makle.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I would get him to go into the year one classroom and observe the teacher so that he can see that it is beneicial and also how to start doing it ( I think this is very daunting for many people and that's why they don't start.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)