Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand And Water In A Weather Topic!

Hello everyone!!

I'm doing the topic of weather ! I'm trying to think of as many ideas as i can for the water and the sand throughout my topic of weather!

I'm thinking of burying laminated icicles in the sand pit and laminated sets of clothing for a hot day and a cold day etc!

I'm also thinking of asking children to compare the water tray in the outdoor classroom to that in the indoor classroom.

I wondered if anyone had any other thoughts!

Thank you !

I'll keep adding my thoughts as i can think of them!

Sieves with small holes set far apart or even plastic bottles/containers with small holes made in them a long way apart are quite good for making 'rain' in the water tray. The children don't seem to mind that it mostly pours in a constant stream through the holes rather than in drops unless they are very tiny holes!

You can also get fake snow from places (I've never used it, only heard about it on here so I'm sure someone else can tell you what it's called). Possibly it could replace the sand in the sand tray for a while?

Junk modelling boats and sailing them in water tray - look at the wind blowing them?

Add washing powder to water tray to wash clothes, then hang on washing line to watch the wind blow them (although won't dry in this weather!!!)

I put 'instant snow' in my sand tray. I got it from one of our catalogues, possibly tts. It starts as a powder then you add water and if fluffs up, all cold and fluffy like real snow! The children love it although be careful as the floor gets slippy!

I also used the sand tray to make a desert small world with minibeasts and opther desert animals hiding in the sand.

Put some big ice cubes in your water tray for some real ice bergs!

Use whisks in the water to make waves on a windy day and add your boats.

I put shaving foam in a play tray with some toy arctic animals which went down really well. Nice WARM winter play!

Cotton wool balls and strips on a blue card background can be great fun for making wintery scenes, or used in a play tray along with ice cubes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)