Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inclusive Nurseries

My vision for the future is for all children with special needs to be educated alongside mainstream children. I have only come across a few nurserys where inclusive practice is good practice, but these are still not fully inclusive. How hard do you think it would be to open a nursery where all staff are trained in special needs early education and the equipment is suitable for both mainstream children and those with special needs? Does anybody know of any settings where full inclusion has been successful?

The setting I work in is definitely inclusive. As a staff team we actively promote inclusion and have children who have varying needs. All staff are trained in aspects of SEN and the setting based SENCO provides a lot of support. Luckily Birmingham EYDCP has seen the value in funding for this area. :D

I could talk about this topic for hours as inclusion is very close to my heart as 2 of my sons are visually impaired and I had to fight for them to attend mainstream nursery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I am a newly appointed Area SENCO and visit private and voluntary playgroups and nurseries to support setting based SENCOs, I find that in order to be fully inclusive the attitudes of the staff are what make it inclusive - the rest is a bonus. I have several settings where inclusion is a primary concern amongs staff, training and changes in attitudes are necessary sometimes.

lesley

Within our setting we explain our inclusion policy to all prospective parents. We have hit problems where a child on the autistic spectrum was biting other children and many parents became upset and angry. It takes patience and empathy to deal with these situations, but at the end of the day it is the parents choice to attend or not attend your setting. By working through the incidents with the parents and showing them that we were working on strategies the situation was overcome and none of the parents withdrew their child. A positive and consistent attitude is required by staff and we are lucky and skilled enough to have that. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)