Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plenaries!

How on earth do you fit them in? I know most teachers find it hard even with the very structured literacy and numeracy hours so its even harder for us with the new FS curriculum. I used to have a specific 'sit down' slot but scrapped it coz there was too much stopping and starting then our LEA advisor said we could just do one at the end of each adult focused activity. But....dare I admit it? :oxD I don't....feel really bad as I know its a case of reinforcing their learning. On the other hand if I say eg 'Now each time you write that d for dog, you will remember that it starts like a curly caterpillar' after some writing-is that a plenary? Maybe not!

Yes your absolutly right! A plenary is as formal or not as you want it to be. I find it more effective if it's not formal at all. At the end of a focus group I don't say 'Right to summaries our session, or anything like that. I just re cap over what we have looked at ask a question or two and that's that.

I agree that plenaries are hard in Reception -especially if you are operating the small group focused activity/ child initiated activities/ outdoor acticities structure all the time.

In my class we generally only have very short whole class times, however we do try and review what the children have done and I try and encourage them to read their work to the class if they have been writing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)