Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Teaching Union?

Just trying to decide which teacing union to go with- any advise on NASWUT or NUT or other?

All seem pretty similar bar a £20 difference. Any advise would be more than welcome. I am thinking ahead to the changes in hours for maintained nurseries (more hours no extra pay) and wondered if anyone has heard if these unions will be doing anything about it- this would help me make a decsion.

Thought I would ask here before going to the unions direct as both will want to take my money!

Hi apple, I'm a bit biaised as I do some work for the NUT sometimes, but I would say if you want a union that campaigns for the rights of education workers, then they are the one to go for. They are a bit more militant that the NASUWT so it depends how you feel about that politically. They also offer good training for very low cost or free.

But in the end there is probably not much to choose between the two.

Did you look at PAT? I think they've changed their name now but they used to be the one mainly seen as for early years workers.

Personally, I would say PAT now Voice the Union. They have a non striking principle which attracted me to them many years ago and when I needed help some years ago I couldnt fault the suport I was given and the phonelines to HQ are always open!

Hi

Have just replied but pressed wrong button! so here goes again

I have been teaching for some years and belong to ATL who were very supportive when pay scale changed and managed to keep my level of pay even though hed wanted to lower it. The advise they are giving is to keep a written record of all hours you are doing for extended hours in nursery and to work out how many hours you will be doing over a year. we should not be doing more than alloctaed hours which include staff meetings etc. I worked mine out to be more than 60+ a year. My suggestion to anyone is to stand your ground and refuse to do extra, unless you are SMT then you have to do them. I kept on at my head about it and eventually they agreed i would be doing more hours and they have said I will need to have some afternoons off but without cover-another issue!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)