Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medium And Long Term Planning

Guest colechin

Just came across your post and noticed that you haven't had a reply. So just wanted to reply even though I am unable to help.

I only take children over 2 and are a PVI setting. Are you a childminder or a Nursery? I am sure someone here can help you, but I would say yes to Long term and Medium term planning for this age group as they are Foundation Stage.

Hope someone comes along soon.

Does anyone currently do long term and medium term planning for under 2s? Hoping for some good advice.

Hello,

I used to work in the baby room of a day nursery, looking after babies from 6 weeks up to around 15 - 18 months.

We had a rough long term plan, mostly showing seasonal experiences that we would like to do. Our medium term plan was very flexible and showed the LTP in more detail, taking into account the group of children we actually had, for example playing in a pile of autumn leaves wouldn't be suitable for very young babies but the older babies may enjoy it. We would also include on here anything changes we would be expecting to make to our daily routine, for example as the babies become older we would introduce a flexible group snack time that we might not have needed before.

Daily experiences (outside play or messy activities for example) would be planned for on a planning sheet that was regularly updated (daily) to show the children's needs and interests. staff would then discuss these between them, so that everyone knew what was going on, during the day as well as at a weekly room meeting.

Hope that helps!

Campbells

That's great to know as I'm a bit worried about how to do a long term plan but I'd always planned to take influence from the seasons, so I suppose it's just about putting those thoughts on to paper really. I take it a long term plan just means you jot down potential activities rather than an actual weekly plan?

That's right, LornaLC.

I use a calendar for festivals, celebrations and birthdays plus seasons. This is my long term plan.

Medium term I have a copy of the planning for the term working with the planned children's centre activites.

Short term is my weekly routine - childminder drop-in, stay and play at the children's centre, rattle and rhyme at the library.

I also plan retrospectively. For instance, if the children arrive saying they've been on a train, I'll "plan" to get the train set out, the train driver hat & whistle, we may put all the chairs in a train setting and go on a trip. All things you do - you just have to learn to show it on paper!

As you observe the children you'll also plan the next stage. Your 15 month old daughter is showing an interest in mark making with her yoghurt so you're planning to introduce her to powders for mark making.

Hope that helps!

Nona

Nona that is great advice, thank you for that. I have been really concerned about how I'm going to be getting things on to paper so I'll definitely be a little more confident now when the time comes to actually do it!

hi i do a play based planning sheet a weekly one with sensory activites imaginative play toy box homecorner messy activity creative activity construcation play circle time music time rhyme time outdoor play have these down side days of week across top and write in what to put out from the area so to cover each area of development daily and so we dont keep putting out same toys u dont need a long term or monthy with under 2 as you should go with the children and their needs use planing as a guide to cover each area of eyfs and to show u r i aslo do a daily sheet covering each of the 6 areas with a learning goal what activity is and adult role resourses and small evalvation as this is what ofstead asked for when they came in august 09 hope this is some help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)