Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trying To Come Up With One!

I have got a boy heavy group of FS children (mostly summer born too!) and some of them are bonkers about the army, guns - Ahh! camouflage etc etc. We've done the whole Superheroes thing and was looking for a theme to excite and delight them linking up with this particular interest. The obvious problem being that I don't want to switch the girls off tho! Any ideas anyone???

Cowboys/girls and horses?

Is it politically correct to do North American indians with cowboys?, don't know, but the girls would enjoy the horses aspect and you might be able to go off on that tangent- horse jumps and horse shows outside etc., horse races, positional language, ordinal numbers... made lead you towards horses and farms?

Now thats a good idea! And it sits very nicely with the fact that at some point this term I've gotta cover a theme on Animals if possible and that'll roll quite nicely into it! Bit unsure about a role play area for this tho? An outdoor stable and a few hobby horses springs to mind ha ha! What about getting my boys writing? Any exciting inspiration?

We have a camouflage net and an assault course (tyres , balance bench etc) that both boys and girls love. You could put targets at the other end and children throw wet sponges and add up their scores or shape targets and they have to hit the shapes you tell them.

Set up a tent (think Ikea do a camo version we just use another net) notepads and binoculars boys write what they see and make reports back to the commander (you) good for S&L as they have to use the correct language and vocabulary

We had a dad (Military Police Officer in full uniform) visit who did drill with all the FSU children on the school field Boys & girls like marching and following orders (halt! right turn... attention!) they loved it!

Face paint camo (let the girls use pretty colours if they want) - link with how animals have patterns to help them hide

Edited by Marion

Try Googling Kids Army Games and you'll find downloadable Trump cards, free computer games and a link to The Kids Army Shop (their Xmas sale ends tomorrow!)

If you contact your local Army Recruiting office they may be able to provide you with resources or arrange for someone to visit. We've been amazed at how much emphasis they place on PR and forging links with the local community.

I recently attended an Army careers day with my daughter. She wants to play in an Army Band and has been offered the chance to attend an Insight Course with The Band of the Royal Corps of Signals, in Blandford. She'll spend a week with them, rehearsing, taking part in any planned concerts and doing some basic training. :o What a Work Experience that will be!

Nona

• 3 weeks later...

I was only thinking about you last night, TillyGrace!

Asda have a "Field Mission Kit" in the clearance sale for £6 - camouflage beanie hat and face paint, compass, and survival/mission guide.

I bought one, as a joke, for my daughter's 15th Birthday on Sunday. Can't wait to see her face :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)