Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Starting Eyfd With Ou - Unit K204 - Working With Children And Fam

Hi,

I'm starting my EYFD with the OU in February and am going straight in at level 2 as I have my NVQ 4 CCLD. I'm starting with unit K204 - working with children and families. Does anyone have any advice for me as I really don't know what to expect? Any good books I could start reading? How does the exam work at the end? etc etc, getting a bit worried about it all! Thanks x

Edited by Guest

HI

Sorry you have had no response so far :(

I can't offer specific advice for K204 as I did not choose this course for my level 2 option for my OU foundation degree.

However, I hope I can reassure you about being an OU student generally :o

You will find that you will receive all your course materials which should include everything you need to complete the course - wider reading is always helpful but not necessarily essential.

As regards the exam, I sat an OU exam for one of my level 3 courses. It is very well organised and towards the end of the course you will receive very precise exam details, where you will sit it etc etc even down to what food/drink you are allowed to take in with you! I sat mine in the town hall of a local town. The OU use all sorts of venues up and down the country for their exams and employ invigilators who are informative and helpful so I really wouldn't worry about the exam practicalities.

Once you have access to the OU forums you will find they are helpful as you can 'talk' to pthers studying the same course both on a national conference (ie accessible to anyone studying the course) and a local level (ie those in your tutor group)

I would recommend that you attend tutorials if at all possible - I certainly found them invaluable! Again all the details will be available when you get your course material

Hope this helps a little and maybe someone who has actually studied this course will be along before too long - there are lots of past and current OU students who are members of this brilliant forum xD

• 1 month later...

Hi Chickencurry. Sorry but I am not doing this course. I just wanted to wish you well as you begin.

Geraldine's advice on OU study in general is very helpful but I'm surprised that no one else has come forward to respond to you.

Hopefully someone will see this thread being active again and may answer you soon.

Good luck with your studies. :o

Thankyou dublinbay, I'm just wondering what to put in the assignment and what not too as there is sooo much information out there and only a small word requirement! x

Hi

I have just started this entering at level 2 have never used OU and currently I am wondering what have I done!!! :(

I agree the course material is all there but I haven't written an assignment for years!!!!!!!!!

I am now setting myself time to read through and I am going to try and motivate myself :o

I am a little scared :(

What hasn't helped is I couldn't attend the tutorial this Saturday and I am booked on a conference for the next one

Wish you well and hope we both get through it others have xD

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I have just started this entering at level 2 have never used OU and currently I am wondering what have I done!!! :(

I agree the course material is all there but I haven't written an assignment for years!!!!!!!!!

I am now setting myself time to read through and I am going to try and motivate myself :o

I am a little scared :(

What hasn't helped is I couldn't attend the tutorial this Saturday and I am booked on a conference for the next one

Wish you well and hope we both get through it others have xD

Sue

How are you doing Sue?!

Hi

Its a different way of learning for me as I haven't done OU courses before

There so much reading xD

Have tried to keep on task but its not easy in the real world, on half term this week so I think that helps :o

Today I have had to work on newsletters, planning, staff rota, learning journals and invoices so haven't worked on activities today - and tomorrow meeting a friend and out for dinner with staff to celebrate Ofsted - we got an Outstanding xD

How are you doing? Is it what you expected?

My daughter looksed over TMA 1 question and laughed she teaches now and left Uni 3 years ago so has fond memories of assignments. they did assignments the night before (Don't think that will be me) I haven't written an assignment for 10 years :(:(:(

Keep in touch its helpful; to know there is some else out there!!!!

Think we could be a little on the MAD side!!!!! :wacko:

Sue

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi

Have you submitted your first TMA , did mine yesterday feel sick with fear it will be ok!!!

Sue

Hi Sue,

yes, submitted mine on 18th March. Got my results back and was quite disappointed with mark but got some constructive feedback which is helpful. At least it gives you an idea how to proceed with TMA2!!

x

Hi,

I am currently studying wuth the OU but not this course. I am doing E115 and U212 at the moment and can't wait to get my life back :o

Hi Sue,

yes, submitted mine on 18th March. Got my results back and was quite disappointed with mark but got some constructive feedback which is helpful. At least it gives you an idea how to proceed with TMA2!!

x

Haven't had anything back yet!!!!

Spoke to my tutor last week and she said she was going through them :(

Feedback would help I think as feel a little in the dark.

Had some personal issues through March (lost my Dad in Law) so just to pass it would do me at the moment :(

I am unable to attend tutotials currently and that doesn't help

Why do we put ourselves through this??? :o

Don't be disappointed be prepared to take on the challenge to get a better grade at the end xD Do it for yourself!!!!

Easy to tell you that when still haven't got my feedback will let you know

I have looked at TMA 2 and was going to make a start after Easter but think I will wait untill get my feedback DREADING THE EXAM already

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Got my result back this week all I can say is I am relieved I passed.

I agree the feedback was helpful.

Have started TMA2 as time runs out for me really quickly. :o

The problem is I never seem to think I am on the right lines and feel I waffle on. Have now ordered some books from amazon and they are due today so hopefully they will help.

This TMA does really grab me but neither did TMA1

I think I personally prefer to write about real experience and things that really matter to children and working conditions.

So basically it looks like I am stuffed!!!

Not really sure this is for me BUT I will go on as i believe in finishing what I started.

I will just have to continue to waffle on in assignments adding the quotes and then passing eventually.

Good Luck Chickencurry keep in contact xD

Sue

PS do you get to attend tutourials?

Well Done, BigSue!!

My tutor (Wolverhampton Uni) encourages me to see a pass as a pass, particularly when I'm working full-time, missing tutorials and have a family!! A very sensible approach I feel!!

Good Luck with your next assignment.

Nona

Thanks Nona

I have studied before and acheived high grade but the final certificate doesn't often show this.

So REALLY loved your comments as a Pass is A Pass :o and I do give it my best and thats all I have ever asked of my own children .Hubbie was proud too xD

And yes family MUST come first my thoughts too!!! :(:(

Sue

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Sue,

x

Hi Chickencurry

How are you doing?? I am finding it hard to fit everything in but 2nd TMA was better TMA 3 to me doesn't make any sense I am going to the tutorial this week hopefully some help will come from there xD:o

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)