Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Penguin Planning

Guest kelh81

We are doing a whole school maths week based around the book 365 penguins. I want to continue this as a theme in my Reception class and wondered if anyone had any penguin/ polar planning that they would be willing to share.

Thank you in advance :-)

Guest muckygravy

I do penguins and here are some of the books we use - Penguins in the Fridge - we make a fridge out of a big box and the children make penguins out of cardboard tubes - there is a template in the back of the book. We also use Cuddley Dudley by Martin Waddell - the children paint their own penguins and then design shirts for them. You can Use different sized potatoes to stamp and print penguins using torn tissue paper for the icebergs and back on blue sugar paper it looks very effective. To link in shapes I print out sheets of shapes - a black oval and a smaller white oval, three yellow triangles for the beak and feet, white and black circles for eyes and two black triangles for wings - you get some interesting interpretations when the children cut them out and make their own penguins from them. I hope you find some of these ideas useful. On Sparklebox there are some photographs of penguin displays in the gallery section you might find give you some other ideas. Also I use Penguin Pete books and old Pingu videos and books.

Thanks for those ideas mgravy. We are doing polars and penguins for 1st time when we get back and you have given me some good pointers for activities to do with my YR class. Especially like the potato printing...I'm seeing them print black and white oval shapes that potato makes. Letting them dry and then getting children to cut them out and stick them on another sheet and then fill in beak and details with felt pens.. a little penguin collage..maybe linked to number!!! :o

Redbase

we are doing pneguins and winter etc etc after christmas - last year we did puffy painting - adding shaving foam and PVA glue (i think) to white paint - it was fab and we ended up with 3D snowmen and snow scenes! We also got an igloo from the lovely IKEA (was only about £4) and set up role play area for cold places and hunted for penguins etc.

we are doing pneguins and winter etc etc after christmas - last year we did puffy painting - adding shaving foam and PVA glue (i think) to white paint - it was fab and we ended up with 3D snowmen and snow scenes! We also got an igloo from the lovely IKEA (was only about £4) and set up role play area for cold places and hunted for penguins etc.

More good ideas..thanks :oxD

I remember seeing a lump of ice (say from ice cream container in freezer) on a tray with polar animalls on a small world tray area. Have also made very very simple penguins with ovalish black card, small circle of white paper, triangle beak and 2 goggly eyes.

Also made some snowflakey cd things. with sparkly white wool and junk cd's.

simply tying first bit on then threading through through the hole and around the edge. When finished you can space them out a bit to create the right sort of shape. Surprisingly effective when dangling in the winter sunshine.

Hi

We did a "winter" topic last term where we looked at Penguins. Did many of the activities already mentioned, but their favourite was making penguin penguin masks to wear, we made paper mache eggs using balloons and the children enjoyed walking in the outdoor area like penguins, trying not to drop their eggs!!! They had such a great time, some of the children made simple assault courses to move around with their eggs. Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)