Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Core/class Books

Hi,

I'm trying to devise a set of core books and rhymes for our Nursery class. I was wondering if others would share how they actually share these books with the children - do you read a different one each week/day or do you introduce them through a theme and then continue to read them throughout the year?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

I'm in reception and I use core books as a way into 'real' reading; I have a set of ten core books each term and let the parents know what they are, so that they can share them at home too. I usually read one of them at snack time each day, so that the children become really familiar with them, and generally within a few weeks the childen will be picking out their favourite ones during CIP, reciting the repeated refrains and 'reading' them from memory. Very empowering for the children.

Hi

I use "Foundations of Literacy" by Sue Palmer and someone else whose name escapes me.It's a fantastic book and I'm lucky enough to have a Head who has agreed to using this as our basis for literacy along with Write Dance and the improvement after 1 term is brilliant. It's recommended that you read 5 stories a day and these are the stories for the week so you might read the same one 3 times a day and 2 other ones and then the next day change them round, it's up to you but very quickly the children were "reading" the stories for themselves and have a very good understanding of story language. FOL contains a list of 50 tried and tested chidlren's favourite and of course we've added some of our own. We also have five daily nursery rhymes as I know it's been said many times before but children are now entering FS without the base of Nursery Rhymes they once did. I put a sticker in the children's planner with the weeks stories and Nursery rhymes so parents know what we are doing that week. The children and I love it and we are seeing good results.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)