Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crowded Cloakroom

Hi

We have just started to get the questionnaires back from our first parent feedback request, and not suprisingly (as a recent parent and childminder who has collected from the preschool) the cloakroom is under fire. It is very small, and once the doors open, all the children and parents come in, trying to get to pegs, the children come into the main part of the terrapin while the parents attempt to get back out while other parents and children are trying to get in. Most change their children's shoes outdoors which makes it a bit easier, but that in itself isn't ideal.

Now I have just introduced the fact that when it is chucking it down with rain, parents can be invited in to be responsible for their child and sit and look at a book with them while we set up (we only have 15 mins at the start of session, but there is not usually much to set up, and we can have a team chat in the kitchen area) parents don't know this yet, as it is yet to happen, so I know that will make a lot of them happier, as obviously the situation is massively heightened when it is raining. However, I'd like to do more, but I am not sure how else to manage the system - should all children come into the main part of the terrapin independently and then staff assist them in changing shoes, finding pegs? Whilst I know independence and self-care are important I can't help thinking this could take quite a long time out of our 2.5 hour sessions...I know that is what staff will say anyway!!

So would appreciate any feedback on how you manage your drop off procedure?

Thanks

Clare

we had just the same problem unfortunatly you cannot change the building. we managed to change are times at lunch time with older children going and younger children coming to make that a little less congested. but morning and afternoon are still a problem.

sorry i cannot be much help.

Buttercup

We too had feedback about this - fortunately we were able to set up a one way system as our coats are kept on a moveable rack at one end of the room. Now children and parents come into room at one end and self register before taking coats off at other end. We see most of the parents now (still get some that go against flow!) and it has reduced the congestion considerably.

korkycat

We are in a village hall and also operate an 'In' door and 'out' door (one way system). Although the parents who have dropped off their children have to go through the cloakroom area, it works quite swiftly as they do not have their own children with them!

With a member of staff standing at both open doors, it ensures no child leaves without a parent/carer. Ofsted also commented on our efficient entry and exit security.

dottyp :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)