Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Boards

I keep hearing about Children's planning boards. Does anyone have any suggestions of their planning boards so that children can show which area's they have chosen to go to?

THank you

I have tried one of these in the past - had pictures of the different areas (such as writing table, construction, role-play area, etc) and they stuck their names by the thing they were doing, in theory swapping their name when they swapped activities. I seemed to spend more time checking names and encouraging them to remember to move their names than anything else so I abandoned it! However, I'm sure someone more helpul will be along shortly!

I've laminated area cards I found on Sparklebox and 'trained' children to write their names on them with dry-wipe pens as they went to the area. In the end of the session you can check who was where. It also encouraged children to use their name cards to write their names if they couldn't do it independently.

I've laminated area cards I found on Sparklebox and 'trained' children to write their names on them with dry-wipe pens as they went to the area. In the end of the session you can check who was where. It also encouraged children to use their name cards to write their names if they couldn't do it independently.

I really like this idea, have been wondering how to keep track of where everyone is going. Think I will give this a try. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I came up with the idea of 'learning passports' in a previous setting. Each child had a A5 sized sheet split into 6 boxes, one for each area of learning with a picture to show which area was which. When the children completed an activity/spent time in a particular area, they bring their passport to a member of staff who puts a sticker in that box. We display them on the wall as it encourages a little bit of competitive spirit and makes them want more stickers. We explained the idea to the parents too so they can encourage the children.

It's a great way to see which areas the children are accessing, which areas particular children seem to be avoiding and then we can plan things to entice them into those areas.

Hope that helps!

Vickie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)