Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jelly And Bean

This scheme looks great to me and has lots of supplemenatry resources. What are you using and how worthwhile are these resources?

Im thinking of buying something for my own use rather than as a school resource as I think our budget is exhausted!

I use Songbirds and Rigby Star Phonics mainly (cheaper from Amazon & The Book Depository than publishers) I've bought the early sets to supplement the school books. Ann Foster recommended Ragtime Rhymes which I bought from Yellow Door - sort of a modern dr Suess.

I don't know Jelly and Bean but the illustrations look great! The cat looks a little like the Felix advert cat!

Ragtime Rhymes are wonderful and the children love them as much as I do - or do they love them becasue I do??? I love Dr Suess have you read Diffendoofer Day?

Bought the first two sets of Jelly and Bean last year - not a 'luxury finish', however the children I used them for absolutely loved them, because they are so 'decodable'. I felt that the stories got a little tedious, but again the repitition just seemed to build the confidence of my weaker readers. Resources are nice too, plenty to follow up each book. Not a series for the high flyers, in my opinion, but great for those who need lots of consolidation of Phase Two phonics.

My school love the Jelly and Bean stories, and they have really engaged some readers (mainly boys) who were beginning to find life difficult. We tend to use them in reception and year 1 only, as we have supplemented them with the Dandelion scheme which we also love. In our school we use them for readers before stage 5 ORT.

Guest tinkerbell

We also love Jelly and Bean and have been using them for 2 years now with good results.This year I bought the first CD to show the book on the iwb.The new reception children were rapt.

Tinkerbell

Not used Jelly and Bean before, but we have a mixture of Songbirds, Rigby Star, Collins Big Cat Phonics and Jolly Phonics books - the yellow fold out ones are great for practising new sounds (and the children LOVE seeing if they are right, although the parents whinge cos there are not many words - so?!).

My school have book bands, but a couple of years ago I adapted the pink and red levels (ooooh how naughty!), took out everything not decodable (as I believe that if we are teaching children to decode, it is not fair, in the early stages, to give them reading books where they can only decode one word in the whole book!) and then split them into 3 boxes according to difficulty of the books. They then move onto 'yellow' level as normal, but again most of the phonics are pretty decodable - obviously by then though they are learning more and more tricky words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)