Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Writing Activity

Hello, I'm being observed by my head and deputy next week and the focus is on writing. Apart from the obvious writing xmas lists I'm a bit stuck! I'd ordered lots of xmas stories to try and give me inspiration from the school scholastic book club, only to find out todaytt hey won't be arriving till next Friday at the earliest (the day after my observation!) Grr!! If anybody has any suggestions of stories/great xmas writing activities that have worked for them I'd be very grateful.

We've got our Christmas post office set up in the role play area. Our children are writing their letters to Santa and posting them in our lovely red pillar box.

They use a range of different sized paper and envelopes and a stamping set depicting Christmas scenes. It's been very well used and we've had some lovely writing from the children even those who've never bothered with it before. We had a huge box of greetings cards donated a while ago and some children are using these cards to write on too. :o

We've got our Christmas post office set up in the role play area. Our children are writing their letters to Santa and posting them in our lovely red pillar box.

They use a range of different sized paper and envelopes and a stamping set depicting Christmas scenes. It's been very well used and we've had some lovely writing from the children even those who've never bothered with it before. We had a huge box of greetings cards donated a while ago and some children are using these cards to write on too. :o

Same in our preschool!

Party invitations for christmas parties/fairs are good too

Sam

Hello, I'm being observed by my head and deputy next week and the focus is on writing. Apart from the obvious writing xmas lists I'm a bit stuck! I'd ordered lots of xmas stories to try and give me inspiration from the school scholastic book club, only to find out todaytt hey won't be arriving till next Friday at the earliest (the day after my observation!) Grr!! If anybody has any suggestions of stories/great xmas writing activities that have worked for them I'd be very grateful.

Could you go to your local library to borrow some books or to another class? Or ask children/parents to bring in some from home for you to borrow? If you send a little note or put a sign up today you might get some for monday.

Sam

How about reading them the jolly xmas postman and then getting them to write their own letters to fairytale characters like in the book?

Thank you for all yoru replies. I've been frantically trying to find the perfect story. I saw a book called 'The smelly sprout' and ordedered it from Amazon (paid £8 for speedy delivery , twice the cost of the book!). However, now it has arrived I'm not sure that its exactly what I wanted. So I was in waterstones yesterday and saw a '12 days of xmas' book. So now I'm thinking of doing a cross curricular Literacy/numeracy lesson. What do you think? I was thinking that this could go over severla days. The less able sequencing pictures from the story (up to 6) and labelling with number and initial sound, middle ability making their own version e.g on the 2nd day of xmas my true love gave to me 2 christmas puddings, and more able adding decriptive words to their own verion for example On the second day of xmas my true love gave to me ... 2 yummy christmas puddings etc.

Still not sure whether to go down this route or xmas story route!!!

Many many big thank you's for all your advice!!

Hi Petal i think your idea of writing xmas letters was fine you know, because the kids will love it and they will get so involved!We took ours to an actual post box just around the corner from school when we had done ours and they all posted it Plus if you send it to a certain address with return address on the envllpe royal mail send a rely as if it is from Santa!!! eee how exciting is that

x x x

I read to my children 'Get Well Soon Santa.' Stopped the story half way and then told the children they need to send a letter to santa telling him how to get better. They were very engaged in the activity and wrote to him telling him a range of ways of how to get better. 'I sent the letters off up the chimney' and the next day I pretend Santa had wrote one back. They were really excited and thankfully Santa is much better now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)