Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curriculum Guidance

Hello,

i hope someone can help me. I am a bit unsure how to fit the EYFS into the Siraj-Blatchford (2004) framework. I am trying to find out if the EYFS is an open framework approach or and Child-centred approach.

Who controls the curriculum? Who selects, paces and sequences the learning? Does the child/parents have more control or the educators and professionals within this framework.

And also not sure about the classification. Is the curriculum content defined in terms of subjects?

I believe that the EYFS fits in with the Child-centred approach, because the child is the main focus as i observe and access . I dont think the curriculum uses sujects, because it is based on four "themes".

I am really lost. I hope someone can help and advice me.

Thank you.

Hi Andrea,

Your post slipped by me....sorry you haven't had any replies. When you refer to Siraj-Blatchford's work, do you mean the EPPE and REPEY projects?

The EYFS is certainly not a subject-orientated curriculum, and is very much based on following the needs and interests of each individual child. I would say that the educators have the ultimate say in what is provided, but we are all keen to involve children and parents in the decision-making process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

thank you for you reply. I have to do this as part of my study work for the foundation degree. It has been on my mind for a while and just couldnt work it out. I work as a centre worker, and yes i provide the activities but the parents are the responsible carer during my sessions! Very difficult, and interesting thats whay I am trying to develop it further.

Is there an opportunity for you to work with the parents while the children attend a creche for an hour or so, and then you all come together to play with the resources you have selected? I've seen this work very well, and the parents are informed about how children learn through play, and what an effective adult role looks like.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)