Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C10.2 Dev 9

Hi everyone

I am hoping somone can help me to answer this question?

What particular difficulties may affect the sensory development of children who use more than one language?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Sorry no-one has been able to help you with this one!

What do you mean by 'sensory development'? I've worked with a lot of bilingual children and sensory development is not something I have noticed as a problem.

Hope some of the more knowledgeable members on this site can help you out :o

Same here orange! This doesnt make sense to me unless sensory vocabulary development could be confused? But its not something I've experienced, we always built on the child's home language knowledge and skills to develop the additional language wherever possible and it is generally acknowledged that if mother tongue is strong, other language difficulties are usually minimal.

I've hung back on this one, in case anyone else had any other ideas. To be honest, I usually look at the aspects Susan has indicated, as sensory development is really more of an holistic thing, thus as Susan says if the mother language is strong all should flow normally. If the problem was with language itself, then that's another ball game?

That's how I've approached this with candidates, with no problems so far! Don't go making yourself work,or giving yourself unnecessary stress - sometimes these Descriptions are really simple !!

Sue :D

I spoke about the communication difficulties a child may have - particularly very young children. We use a wide range of vocabulary to describe our sensory experiences and this may pose a problem for a child who has had very little exposure to English. :) Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Remember that sometimes the evidence you provide may only be one or two sentences - providing they're relevant and to the point you don't always need to write reams and reams. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)