Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Helping Children Protect Themselves From Abuse

Next week I am discussing with my DPP students how to help pre-school children respect their bodies and protect themselves from abuse. This is part of the externally marked assignment for the DPP. Last year's feedback was that the students needed to include more strategies to help children protect themselves. Does anyone have any ideas for activities on this difficult subject?

I always think that this area is sooooo important for helping children to keep themselves safe. If you allow children to make choices and you respect them and their ideas and you support them in being assertive you are giving them an additional layer of self protection. Children who are able to say "No, I don't like that" are active rather than passive and are less likely to be the victims of abuse.

Basic things like recognising their own and each others body space. Talking about feelings, how to recognise when they don't feel safe, keeping this in context of what they already know, to be able to recognise what is instinct and then to be able to voice how they feel.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)