Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hfw

Hi am struggling to find a new and interesting ways to introduce HFW into my action packed days. Started off putting words on the wall for children to read. I have put words into sentences for handwriting sessions. I have laminated word charts children use to support writing tasks. I have also sent words home in a tin for children to learn, wondering if anyone has some shinning examples that children enjoy. This is a mixture of rec/yr1 ideas.

word_bank.doc

its drip drip really isn't it?

write words onto gold card and hide in the sand for treasure hunt - find and put in the 'treasure chest'

Put a paper clip onto each word and play metal detectors with magnet - have lots of copies of each word so its a sorting activity too, which word did we find more?

speed matching - on an A3 sheet, write 2 very different tricky words, write randomly all over the page - not like normal text! Laminate the sheet. Use a 1 minute timer and get the child to cross out as many 'the' words, or whatever, before the timer runs out! or make it really hard and have 3 words and they ahve to change between each one! boys like the competition element.

Pelmanism is also a good game to develop short term memory.

We play the 'master master can we cross the river' game from L&S book, sometimes using the children or sometimes play mobile people - the children say m, m can we cross the river? Adult replies - 'Only if you have this tricky word - which is written on a small w/brd and shown briefly - as children get better at retaining words I just say the tricky word I want. If they have it they can cross the river/carpet.

I also make my own small reaidng books usign only current tricky words and pictures - childrne take these home to read. Parents really like these too.

Hope these are of use!

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)