Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rhythmic And Rhyming Activities

Hello all you clever people,

I would like some ideas for rhyming and rhythmic activities that you have found to be successful with your 3 and 4 year olds. I think I may be thinking too hard about it and the activities may be quite obvious!

ppp

Hello,

Firstly I would say that it is important to read lots of stories to the chidlren that rhyme- Such as 'Room on a broom' and 'down by the cool of pool'. I would read them lots of times so that the chidlren begin to join in with the rhyming words. Other than that Aspect 4 in Letters and Sounds phase 1 is all about rhythm and rhyme- and includes activities such as 'rhyming soup'. This activity involves the chidlren throwing items into a bowl that rhyme and singing a song to the tune of pop goes the weasel'

I'm making lots of silly soup

I'm making soup that's silly

I'm going to cook it in the fridge

To make it nice and chilly

In goes.......(rat, cat, hat..etc.)

There are several other activities in Letters and Sounds

Mucky Duck

The activities in aspect 4 are really useful but like Muchduck says I don't think you can beat a daily rhyming story with lots of repetition so chidlren become familiar and can fill in the rhyming words. I find some of the activiites in aspect 4 a little hard when you're trying to establish the actual concept of rhyming with children - they need to hear examples of rhyming words on a daily basis initially. We have a special person each day and when we write their name on the board we will make up some rhymes for their name. I also play with different versions of famliar nursery rhymes - Humpty Dumpty works well - where I will change the words and give the children 3 pics to choose from to help them fill in the rhymign word e.g.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a chair

Humpty Dumpty brushed his ... teeth / dog / hair.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)