Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing

The more able children are starting to be able to write CVCs and try to sound out other words. The others are at differing stages with some still at the scribbling stage. A lot can do initial sounds if in a focussed activity.

same here :o

One a week at the moment.

Last week it was replying to an invitation from Kipper to his party.

This week we will be writing birthday cards for him.

We also do word building in our phonics time but with magnetic letters and of course many of them are writing/mark making in CI time

Edited by kittycat1279

Thanks KittyCat

I'm doing Kipper's Birthday next week and we are writing invitations. I find it hard to fit in all aspects of CLL and phonics in a week. Do you do indiviual plans for CLL and Phonics?

Thanks

We have it all on one planning sheet but I'm not sure we are covering all aspects of CLL.

We have a 15mins phonics each day, a writing focus each week and then big book time most weeks (but not all) and a story time most days of the week. We hear the children read twice a week. They have various speaking and listening opportunities through CP and our daily circle time when we have our drink/snack time. We are starting to introduce a few sight vocabulary words as and when we need them so at the moment we have just looked at 'I' but I am sure 'the' will follow shortly. We do not do guided reading as we follow the Ruth Miskin Read Write Inc phonics programme. We will have finished introducing the first 31 sounds by Wednesday and then our phonics sessions will be lots of word building and then we will be assessing them ready to group them for after Christmas.

I follow RML too. What happens next once the 31 sounds have been introduced?........i've read that far yet :o

I know there are ditties and was wondering when they come into it.

Thanks

We use the assessment sheets in the handbook and use the 1st 2 pages at this stage. The 1st assessment checks the sounds, then it's fred talk - can they say the word, then there are some words for them to try to read if they are ready for that stage.

Then if they are blending and able to read some words after christmas we will start on ditties

If they know most sounds and are beginning to blend then they do some of the word time 5-7 until they are blending fluently and are ready to start ditties. We then split the remaining children into those who know some sounds and those that haven't really picked many up at all. We analyse where the holes are in the group that know some sounds to determine where to re do the sounds from. The lowest ability children start the programme from the beginning but in quite a small group.

We split them between the 2 teachers and 2 TAs (the teachers have the largest groups whic tend to be the top two groups in our situation.

Thank you Kittycat, you've been very helpful. How do you manage to fit in CLL and Phonics lessons? When the group of children start the ditties is that in their CLL time? Just not sure how i'm going to fit it all in!!!!!

Thanks again

Once we start ditties that is our main CLL but will aim to do a writing activity linked to topic as well! So although it's writing it is under several other umbrellas as well.

Thanks for your help. I was hoping once the children are on ditties that that is the main part because i'd never fit everything rlse in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)