Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assesment

Guest Greenhouse

Guest Greenhouse

Hi all,

My school is currently looking at baseline assesments which to use, what do they offer, easiest to implement, do you lovely people have any good thoughts or ideas on this topic? I am wary, as I feel that using the EYFS Profile is the antedote to PIPs or similar things. Anyone using anything of any use?

Cheers

Greenhouse

Edited by Greenhouse

I am sure there was a chat about this before. I use the baseline assement booklet from Communication4all, which again I think was mentioned on here. It took a couple of weeks for my TA to complete with the children, but gave her some nice 1:1 time with them. I did observations whilst she was doing this, and we used all this info, along with the preschool transfer forms to give our children an inital assessment. We found it really useful to use as a bases of grouping children, and seeing if there were any particular weakness the whole cohort had, which then meant we could address that.

Hope this helps

Emily

I don't use baseline at all. We have info from the pre schools, discussions with parents and carers where we get lots of infomation and then we use our normal ongoing observations in the first half term and thaen in that Nov break we put all of our info onto the Eprofile as our summative on entry data.

We have then noticed that once children settle after the first few weeks we are able to see them achieiving more as they are used to the environment the people and the routines.

No one works at their best when they are new not even me when I moved into this job!!

Guest christydeane

I agree Emilia! I use similar process to you - info from home and pre-school, plus my own observations over first month or so, then enter onto eyeprofile. However, have today been asked to look at my baseline scores in preparation for a visit from our SIP. Can I ask, what do people consider to be an 'average' baseline score? I have gone on a score of 3, but this seems to suggest I have an 'above average' class and I'm quite sure I don't!! Not sure if I have fallen into the trap of thinking that our average is average when actually it is below average??? Am I making any sense?!

I think an afternoon looking at stats with the SMT has addled my brain!!!

Would appreciate your thoughts people!

Cheers

Guest christydeane
Our on entry data is based on the first half term and it is currently being analysed but it varies from a couple of zeros and ones, to 7 points in NLC but the majority of children achieve 3 points in most areas except for some of the CLL elements.

Ok thanks, that is helpful to know!

Can I ask when do you complete your baselines by?

I have always thought and been told from what I can remember that you take the first half term. Mine are completed by October half term.

however I have had OFSTED in today (and tomorrow) and she has said that they should be completed in the first three weeks and that looking at our scores our children are below average - they score 1,2,3 mainly and then about 6/7 in NLC.

I am really confused now. What is average? above/below average for baselines? Surely if they make 4 points progress over the year and reach the 78 point mark by the end of foundation stage that is good.

HELP!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)