Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Workload-sigh!

It all sounds so familiar to me too, but I was made supernumerate two years ago and it has made such a difference.

It frees me up to work in the ratios should a member of staff fall sick. It allows me to deal with some of

the admin jobs during the session and to show prospective parents/children around the setting stress free!

I have also had the time to stand back and assess working practise and have time to help staff with their

obs and profiles and catch up with the supervisor on a day to day basis. I may be painting a rosey picture

of the position, as of course there are sometimes hickups along the way but on the whole it was a good move

thanks to the committee! There is obviously a financial issue, but we are a charity group its working well for us.

dottyp :o

I'm adding my name to the growing list of over-worked, underpaid nursery leaders! I did 7 hours yesterday that won't hit my timesheet and that's not unusual! It has definitely got a lot worse in the last few years, exacerbated by new initiatives from on high, but what is important is the day to day work, hands-on, with the children. I don't feel that 2009 nursery is any better than 1995 nursery, do you? If anything I think the children are considerably less advanced, harder to manage etc.

I resent the fact that my experience counts for nothing and that my qualifications will soon be unsuitable too. In fact, I am thinking of stopping altogether at Easter. My husband and I thought that life would become simpler once both our girls were at uni, but all it has shown is that it's nursery work, unpaid and neverending, that is eroding our lives!

Sorry, moan over! Anyone know where Tinkerbell with her magic wand is?!?!?

I feel quite strongly that you SHOULD claim for those 7 hours you did. If every pre school worker claimed their real hours, rather than working unpaid, it would become obvious that the sector is being propped up by those who give of their free time. Teachers do a lot of extra hours, but they have good salaries and great perks such as the teachers' pension scheme. Those of you who aren't teachers really must stand up for your rights.

It would be awful if we lost people like you LJW.

All hail the revolution!! :o

my committee are always telling me to write down my actual hours on my time sheet but then when I ask for a new resource we never have any money! We are all in the same boat, we work in a sector that can't afford to pay us for all the hours we work. I do understand that if we claim for all the hours we work then our committees will get a better understanding of the hours needed to run a successful Pre-School but unless someone is going to champion our cause then nothing will get done. Maybe we should send this thread to Mr Brown. mrsW.x

This cannot be solved at committee level - the issue is much bigger than that and affects the vast majority of pre school workers. More and more has been expected over the years but funding does not reflect this. I wonder if all groups were still funded by fees how this would be different. Would groups feel justified in charging for the actual hours needed to fulfil legal requirements. It feels very unfair that so much is demanded/expected of early years workers with the expectation that much is provided by staff working in their own time due to the low rate of funding and the total ban on top up fees. I just cannot see the way forward through this jungle of mismatched government control.

my committee are always telling me to write down my actual hours on my time sheet but then when I ask for a new resource we never have any money! We are all in the same boat, we work in a sector that can't afford to pay us for all the hours we work. I do understand that if we claim for all the hours we work then our committees will get a better understanding of the hours needed to run a successful Pre-School but unless someone is going to champion our cause then nothing will get done. Maybe we should send this thread to Mr Brown. mrsW.x

You need to remember that YOU are the best resource that your setting has. As chair I'd rather spend our money on staffing than on any fancy new equipment (although both would be nice too).

SuzieC8, you sound just like my chairperson. I am sure we all want the same things for our Pre-Schools, staff that are paid for all their hard work and lovely new resources. What about some money for hard working, caring chairpeople??? mrsW.x

All of these issues could be solved if leaders were given one or two sessions in the setting - non contact.

I have given my staff one morning 3 hrs off every other week to catch up with obs etc. I now have a fri morn off to do degree work. so every other week i am off on two mornings doing paperwork. i really do not want this i would sooner be playing with the children.

when will it all change. I do not want to spend all of christmas catching up

buttercup

SuzieC8, you sound just like my chairperson. I am sure we all want the same things for our Pre-Schools, staff that are paid for all their hard work and lovely new resources. What about some money for hard working, caring chairpeople??? mrsW.x

Aww thanks, I do it for love though :o

so glad I am not alone :o we are a pack away nursery too observations - planning get put on table and get taken backwards and forwards on a daily basis.

my home is a paperwork extention my car is the filing cupboard.

So glad I am not alone..........................