Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Person

We have a 20 minute session just before playtime. The class are split in two. I have 11 children and my T.A has 11. We have separate spaces and we let the children direct the discussion. They bring in things to show, we tell stories, sings songs etc. The children love the special time and we call it 'social club' as it sounds better than key worker time. Also we observe our own children more and we are responsible for our own children's learning journeys.

Hope that helps!

Each adult has 13 childern they are first point of contact for the parents the key person has their group during group time and is responsible for setting childrens targets and updating learning journey.

Thanks for the replies, lots of good ideas and ways to implement it.

We might do something similar to Kittycats

Edited by Guest

I am the key worker for all my Reception children and the LSA helps with observations and contributes to planning and learning journeys.

Yes the teacher is the Key Person according to the EYFS but the key person approach is mainly to do with attachments not about organisational tasks. So it is about building in times during the day that children gather with an adult in a smaller group or one-to one to talk and share. Usually classes are split into smaller groups between all the adults so it may be each adult has between 10-16 children depending on how many LSAs are there. Circle time ideas can be used in this smaller group. Other ideas for Key times are:

Each small group has its own soft toy that goes home with a diary and families fill it in. It is then shared in the "Key Time"

Island time special box (treasure box) the adult has an interesting collection in the box - maybe a photo, set of keys, jewellry, something from a holiday... The children choose an object and talk about it, ask questions, add their own comments...It can develop by children bringing their own items to talk about

Show and tell in small group

Snack time (preparation, eating together, clearing up)

Story time / sharing books (inside and outside)

And so on. It helps incredibly with the Profile - particularly informing PSED and Language for communication and thinking as well as aspects of others.

Hope that helps

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)