Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flexible Hours

Hi I'm trying to find out more info about the flexi 15 hours (as well as trying to work out how to use this forum as this is my first post!) I understand that being flexible could be as simple as saying children can be dropped off between 8 and 9 o'clock. My only issue then is if parents choose 8-1 (as we have a lunch club) over 3 days - how do we ensure that they have equal access to the EYFS which we currently plan over 5 days? Obviously every area is covered during CIL play but we do have use of the school hall one day a week for focused physical activity such as throwing and catching. Can we say that all areas are covered every day in CIL play but if they don't come Thurs/Fri they will miss a focus on PE and say Linking Sounds and Letters or do we spend the week chasing children? Any help with this greatly appreciated! :oxD

With regards to the definition of flexible, this might be down to your LA rather than any one on here confirming the definition. We try to cover all kinds of activities on a daily basis and follow the interests of the children too, so some days we might not do anything creative for example because everyone was really busy investigating something and running, throwing and catching outside. On other days, maybe when it is hot, we might not really have any gross physical activities. It just depends on how the children respond to the environment and what they bring in with them. We assess the children's development across the different areas of learning over a term and if a child does not have many/any observations showing their achievement in any specific area we look to offer different/more activities in this area that will appeal to their interests. However if for example we decide to do something specific and can only do that on a set day, children not in for that day don't always do it. What I think I'm trying to get to is, could you observe the physical development a child might miss by not being in on your PE day in other activities? Hope that helped a little bit :o

Guest MaryEMac

Hi Roo and welcome to the forum. Our playgroup has been using flexible hours since september. A lot of our children come from 9 - 3 on three days, some come from 10 -3 on two days, one or two come in at 12 -3 for two days. When we plan we try to cover all areas over the week but if some aren't there we do as Holly says and observe in other activities. We also try and change round the activities so that we don't always do the same activity on the same day each week. In this way we generally catch everybody.

Mary

our hours are 9-12, 9-1 or 9-3 so parents can be flexible in doing 5 mornings, 3 full days and pay for 3 hrs extra or some children do 2 days and one morning. we have a big mixture. it is difficult to plan but i try to do cooking on different days or art work on the same theme but different things so children everyday wont get bored. it is hard but it is the parents choice to only send them for two days etc.

buttercup

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)