Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

F/1 Mixed Year Group

Hi

In January 10 of my Foundation children will move up to a Year One class. This year I really want to make sure that the provision offered caters for the mixed year group. The Year One children are generally less mature/able and therefore a good match to the Foundation aged children.

The Year One teachers are concerned that SATs results will drop in Year 2 next year, if the Yr1's receive a Foundation based curriculum this year.

My questions are... 1. What do we think that the provision in a quality F/1 class should look like?

2. Is there any written guidance on mixed F/1 classes and how they are set up?

I would love to hear your opinions and I'm sure my colleagues would to!

Guest tinkerbell

HI

I work in a small school and the intake is 15 reception children each year.We therfore have 15 year1 and 15 year2 also.

2 classes so class 1 has the receptionchildren 17 (this year appeals) and 5 year1=22 children

Class 2 has the majority of the year1 10 and the 16 year2 =26 children.

we have an old Victorian building with 2 small rooms so it would be unfair for one of the teachers to have just 1 year group eg R or Yr2 whilst the other had 2 groups.....and we would be over the 30 if we did.

So we have split the year 1 for many years and these children do not suffer and do not underachieve in their ks1 SATS.

Hi,

We are much the same as tinkerbell - year 1s split between 1/2 class and my class - mainly R but a few Y1s. Can't say how foundation-style would work in mixed y1/2 class as I haven't taught them, but the Y1s I have 'kept' have met or exceeded expectations for Y2 when they have got to that stage - by that I mean expectations for them (so may not have been predicted 2b anyway, but have made amount of progress they should, or made more progress). However, a fair few over the years HAVE achieved 2b at y2, even though they did't have 'good' YR profile scores.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)