Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do You Have In Your Nappy Changing Area?

handrews

Hi,

Am in need of some help!

What sorts of things do you have in your nappy changing areas for children to engage with? Is the time treated as a time to engage with the child and interact with them, or simply a conveyor belt of nappies which need changing?

Thankyou!

In my previous setting we had colourful wall posters,mirrors, mobiles hanging from ceiling and a small basket of toys to keep the toddler interested and to prevent to much wriggling. Nappy changing is a good opportunity for the key person to spend some time with the child.

What sorts of things on the mobile? is there a limit due to health and safety and common sense?

I am doing the EYP course and have to make a change to another setting and have flagged up the nappy changing area, specifically for babies. I am wanting to make it more interactive but as I do not work with babies myself, I was wondering what sorts of things were used.

Thankyou for your help!

When I worked in a baby unit there were brightly coloured pictures on the walls and a mobile above each changing

unit. Other than that, it was an opportunity to talk and engage with the baby being changed on a 1-1 basis.

Giving toys to hold etc sounds like it could be a messy business :o

dottyp

Hi

We used old cds to make mobiles and the babies enjoyed the light/colours reflecting from them. It really depends how much space you have to use. Hope that helps.

Dottyp I can see what you are saying but in 4 years it was never an issue, it was an option that was available but obviously you have to think about health and hygiene practices.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)