Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mixed Reception/year 1 Planning

Hi

This is my first post so hope i am doing it right!!!!!

I am currently teaching a mixed Reception/Year 1 class and am really struggling with finding a planning format that is easy to use!!! I have use about 6 different ones so far this year and still cannot find a solution. I am sure there is someone out who can help - PLEASE!!!!!!! Before i drown under a sea of paperwork!!!!!

I teach Reception and Year 1 and am finding it v difficult too! I have attached an area plan, a CLLD plan, and a PSRN plan. I am in a job share and the way we organise it is to have 2 literacy and 2 numeracy mornings each week (Friday is finishing off) - so one week I teach Literacy on my 2 mornings and the next week Numeracy. I tend to teach music each week and my job share teaches PE/Dance. I hope these help, they are working for me at the moment. I plan separately for Letters and Sounds (I take YR and my TA takes Y1). I hope this makes sense - would be really interested to see how you plan too.

Kathryn

Weekly_Plan___all_areas_wb_9th_Nov.doc

Weekly_plan_CLL_wb_2nd_Nov.doc

Weekly_plan_PSRN_wb_9th_Nov.doc

Hi

thank you for replying - any help is really appreciated. I will post some of our plannng on here this weekend for you to look at. The way we teach is very different - we have 15mins of phonics 3 x daily and the same for key numeracy skills. The rest of the time we try to make very creative for the children. I am always so worried about all the observations and making sure that i cover all areas with Recpetion and also making sure y1 get what they need - I have 32 children wilth one HLTA full time and another TA for 8hrs a week!!!!!

It is so hard to balance the needs of the different year groups - I constantly feel that in trying to do so I'm not really providing effectively for anyone! I have 26 children and one TA (who is also a dinner lady and does some SEN work!). Plus I have the added pressure of being in a job share and the other teacher has a very formal style. It is a bit of a nightmare at the moment to be honest!

I teach Reception and Year 1 and am finding it v difficult too! I have attached an area plan, a CLLD plan, and a PSRN plan. I am in a job share and the way we organise it is to have 2 literacy and 2 numeracy mornings each week (Friday is finishing off) - so one week I teach Literacy on my 2 mornings and the next week Numeracy. I tend to teach music each week and my job share teaches PE/Dance. I hope these help, they are working for me at the moment. I plan separately for Letters and Sounds (I take YR and my TA takes Y1). I hope this makes sense - would be really interested to see how you plan too.

Kathryn

Hi

I teach YR,1 and 2. Am intrigued as to your plans, they seem slightly less hours to do than mine. Do you have 3 per week then? 1 for CLL, 1 for PSRN and 1 for weekly + topic? Also, I am interested to know how you are finding the double lit and numeracy sessions with regards to sessions per week? Do you get more done? or do you find they don't do enough daily maths? (MOS?)

thanks!

Bex

Hi

thank you for replying - any help is really appreciated. I will post some of our plannng on here this weekend for you to look at. The way we teach is very different - we have 15mins of phonics 3 x daily and the same for key numeracy skills. The rest of the time we try to make very creative for the children. I am always so worried about all the observations and making sure that i cover all areas with Recpetion and also making sure y1 get what they need - I have 32 children wilth one HLTA full time and another TA for 8hrs a week!!!!!

Hi really inter4ested to hea how you do this.

Bex :oxD

Hi Bex

We have been part of a pilot scheme called ERR - Early Reading Reaserch and ENR - Early Numeracy reaserch, run by a company called KRM. It works on the principles of direct instruction and that you teach the class as a whole, differentiating as you go!!! It is quite a lot to get your head around at first, but now i love it. It is very structured and not all Early Years advisors like it - ours is coming round to the idea!!

I went to visit a school in Claxton that had worked like this for 10years and their Early Years got outstanding recently from the big O!!

I will attach my planning and timetable for you to have a look at - would be really interested to see what you think

Lisa

The planning is not finished for the week!!!!! They are just starting points!!!

ERR_Plan___MON_09.11.09.doc

ERR_Plan___MON_09.11.09.doc

Group_Work_Timetable_09.11.09.doc

Reading__and_Spelling_Timetable.09.11.09.doc

outdoor_planning___09.11.09.doc

indoor__planning___09.11.09.doc

Timetable___Autumn_2.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi

I teach YR,1 and 2. Am intrigued as to your plans, they seem slightly less hours to do than mine. Do you have 3 per week then? 1 for CLL, 1 for PSRN and 1 for weekly + topic? Also, I am interested to know how you are finding the double lit and numeracy sessions with regards to sessions per week? Do you get more done? or do you find they don't do enough daily maths? (MOS?)

thanks!

Bex

Yes, I do those 3 plans for the week - 1 for CLL, 1 for PSRN and 1 for topic, plus I do a separate plan for Letters and Sounds. Seems to be working OK so far, but still trialling really. What do you do for planning?

I love the double lit and numeracy sessions, it feels like you can really get into something and the children have time to follow things through. Works really well as a job share too, because I plan for CLL one week and then PSRN the next. Also means you only need to prep for one subject in the morning! I am slightly concerned about not doing enough daily numeracy though, so I am trying to fit in a Mental Maths session each day before lunch. Would be very interested to have a look at your plans!

Kathryn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)