Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Childrens Development

Hi all !

Today we had a visit from a very lovely Ofsted lady, (not for an inspection but give our new supervisor a suitable persons interview) she said that we should record what level of development a child has achieved on entry.

We have not done this before and I was wondering how other settings find out this information from their parents. We do have 'all about me' forms that parents fill out but she said this was not enough.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

Motherclangerx

Edited by Motherclanger

We too had this as an action on our Ofsted report a few years ago.

We put into place the 'all about me' leaflets that parents fill in as a starter and over the child's first few weeks we observe them against 16 - 26months dev matters (ours start at 2) and then take it from there.

Not quite sure if it's enough, or even right but hope it helps a little.

In our last ofsted inspection we got outstanding and this is what we do..... we grade children on entry using EYFS individual records....for each of the areas we note whether the child is work below FSP1 or is emerging, developing etc We also use 'What i like information sheets' and social observation sheets.

hope this helps.

We have All About Me sheets and use these along with observations in the first half term to complete a settling in report (someone on here shared a lovely single page one recently). We share this with parents and agree next steps for them. From there my next task is to support the staff to determine which developmental range from the development matters section of EYFS the child is working at. We do this for each area of learning and I will then be adding this to our Development Matters database. This will give me a baseline assessment (for want of a better term) and then their progress can be tracked as they go through the pre-school.

I would like to say that I do not want to do, and am not doing, this in order to show the children have made x amount of progress, and I am only recording the information to determine that any given child is indeed making progress, providing me with the evidence to prove this to anyone (Ofsted or course) and to identify areas of our provision which might be less than they could be. For example if I saw from the data that lots of children were not progressing as well as the developmental milestones might expect them to in PSRN, I would question our provision in PSRN.

Hi everyone, we had an advisor into our school who said we should record entry level assessments for Nursery and Reception children and then every term/ half term so progress is being tracked. We have had to make up our own tracking sheet to show entry assessment scores. I work in Nursery so I have devised my own code to show where the children are. The advisor is also an inspector and she said she would probably take the scores for these children as professional judgement. We do have a initial assessment sheet but she suggested having one that linked to statements in development matters, picking out the significant/ most important things we would expect the children to be at as this would make it easier to transfer onto a tracking sheet. Some of the examples she showed us were really good so I think we will be making one up for next year.

One thing though, we use Target tracker and there is no facility for inputting initial assessments onto this, especially for Nursery.

Anyway, I hope this is useful! :o

Thanks for your replies !

I'm still a bit confused as the Ofsted lady implied that the information should come from the parents.

So what do I do give them them a whole development matter book for each area of development to go through ? !

Any more ideas welcomed !

Motherclangerx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)