Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading Planning

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any planning for their guided reading sessions that they would be willing to share. This is the first time i have done this and although think i have the general idea am just not sure how to put it down on to paper! I would be really grateful of any examples.

Thank you x

That looks really good KST. How did the children get on?

I used to spend quite a lot of time actually teaching the children how to track the print and to recognise the finger spaces. We would walk through the book looking at the pictures and talking about what was happening before looking at the words in the text and reading them altogether.

Yes I do for each group, do you think its a bit much? I actually do detailed plans for all my adult led activities like this. I find it helps my TA as she does some of the tasks as well as myself as I really think about what I want to teach. But bit time consuming!

I have previously been doing a shared group reading activity each week (still doing this for half the class) teaching which way to turn pages, point to words, etc and have started those that are able to blend CVC words guided reading sessions. I have to say that because I have waited until the children are really ready for it, the session was like one of those wow moments in teaching, when a little boy said after reading the first page all by himself "I can't believe it I've just read a page all by myself. I didn't know i could read this well!" He read the whole book (all made up of CVC words) and was so pleased with himself - the whole group of 4 children were. The little boy then went into the book area independently and tried to read a picture book in there!

KST

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and resources. We are in a 2 form entry unit, at the moment we are trying to do guided redaing with all of our children (which have been put in to 4 ability groups) do u do this or do you just do guided reading with the children who are ready for it, i.e. the higher ability groups?

Thanks again - you never fail to help ! x

I do it with just the children who are ready for it. I assess this on whether they have learnt all the phase 2 sounds and can blend. With the other children I play phonics games in small groups and shared group reading, talking about the pictures, turning pages, pointing to text etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)