Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Observation - Again

Hi i have a literacy lesson observation as part of my NQT.

I am going to look at Rhyming CVC words. I was wondering if anyone has any

1. Adult directed ideas

and

2. Any independant activities relating to CVC words the children could dpo through their play.

I have some ideas but wondered what your thoughts were.

I was going to start by reading a phonics book e.g 'The fat Cat Sat on the MAt'

but I am a bit stumped about what to do after this. Thanks for your help in advance.

I think I am going to do this

Monday:

1. Read stories that have rhyming words

Draw students’ attention to the words that rhyme. Help the student to

identify the patterns made by a rhyme, i.e., which last two sounds are the same.

Remember the goal is for the student to become an independent analyzer of

sounds in words.

And this tuesday

2. Which one does not belong?

Give three consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words, e.g., but, mat, cat.

“Two of these words rhyme, one does not rhyme. Can you tell me which one does

not rhyme with the others?”

Thats for the main activity.

Hi This is my first post so I hope this will be a. readable and b. make sense.

I am a reception class teacher and my children simply love this game.

Its called Mr Rhyme and can be found in an excellent book by Liz Baldwin called I hear with my Little Ear.

Basically the teacher introduces a puppet/toy called Mr Rhyme that loves to make rhyming words. However, he loves rhyming words so much that he sometimes can't say the right word. He hopes the children will be able to help him. Show a picture/item such as a dog, Mr Rhyme will point to the dog and say mog. The children will tell him what the word should be. Once they have got used to the game, you can display lots of pictures/items, Mr Rhyme will say a word and the children have to pick the correct item. This can lead to the children making a rhyming string.

Obviously this is teacher lead but the children tend to keep playing it when I have moved on to something else.

Just an idea, good luck with your observation.

Hi This is my first post so I hope this will be a. readable and b. make sense.

I am a reception class teacher and my children simply love this game.

Its called Mr Rhyme and can be found in an excellent book by Liz Baldwin called I hear with my Little Ear.

Basically the teacher introduces a puppet/toy called Mr Rhyme that loves to make rhyming words. However, he loves rhyming words so much that he sometimes can't say the right word. He hopes the children will be able to help him. Show a picture/item such as a dog, Mr Rhyme will point to the dog and say mog. The children will tell him what the word should be. Once they have got used to the game, you can display lots of pictures/items, Mr Rhyme will say a word and the children have to pick the correct item. This can lead to the children making a rhyming string.

Obviously this is teacher lead but the children tend to keep playing it when I have moved on to something else.

Just an idea, good luck with your observation.

Thanks for that - ill definatly use that this week sounds like fun.

I have decided to change the activity to a phonic lesson. It is set outside and the children move to the sound I am making but will develop to moving to the inital sound of a word I am making. I feel more confident my children will get the phonics more than the rhyming.

Even though they do surprise me often!

Thanks again for the idea, I will be using this wednesday so I will re post and tell you how they did :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)