Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Set Format For Recording Assessment

Hi all,

I am new to Reception and am finding it hard to establish a format I am happy with of recording my assessments (Especially one that is manageable). Does anyone have any examples of successful ways to record. I already do tick sheets with aach of the areas on and with all 9 scales, but it does not seem to tell me much.

Does anyone use individual recording sheets for each child and if so, do you tick it each time yo see it? is this manageable?

Please help!!

All ideas are greatly received :o

Thanks Everyone x

I have sticky labels on clipboards which i write down observations which i use for assessments, both during adult led tasks and child initiated learning. Any children not meeting learning objective are recorded on my plans and I plan their next steps accordingly. All sticky labels are stuck in their individual learning stories, which are referenced to the profile scale points and I have a sheet with all the profile scale points in the back of their learning stories which I tick and once i have 3 pieces of evidence i highlight it as met.

It is really effective but time consuming! I then write their next steps next to the observations (not all of them but those that it is appropriate). I am doing PLODs (individual learning plans) which pick up the next steps which we use to target children in their child initiated learning.

Is that helpful? Hope it made sense.

KST x

Thanks KST,

Sorry to sound so silly, but what are individual learning stories and PLODs?

I know that is probably a really silly question.

Welcome to the forum ABC.

there is an excellent article in this months EYE magazine about observation and if you can get a copy I would recommend it highly to you. Another series on observations have been published in Nursery world and again you would find these useful.

In reception assessment is through observation of the children and once noted you can then use this info to decide where your children are and how you are going to plan for them. There are some good papers on this on the EYFS cd and you will also find information there on PLOD possible line of development which you make once you have observed the children - a bit like a mind map!

If you are new to reception your LA may also be running training on observation for assessment. My advice would be not to make it too weildy and also not to make it a tick list as this is not the best use of observation in recption. Remember the ELG are summative at the END of reception and you will have children in your class with 11 months difference in their ages.

I do have some tracking sheets we use in my LA and if you PM me I can sent these to you but best advice would be to get on some training or visit a practitioner in your area who has been working in YR for some time.

Good luck reception is a great year group!

yes I agree with Emilia's advise. Just to clarify what I mean by learning stories (some people refer to them as learning journeys) you will find lots of threads on here about them. The format I use is a scrapbook for each child which has all their observations and photos stuck in. I refer them to the scale points they are meeting.

For the individual plans, as Emilia said, they are basically a mind map, the format I use is on the EYFS CD, it has the name of child in the middle and their interests, around the edge is boxes for each of their areas of learning and I write their next steps in, based on the profile, evidence in the learning story and on their interest. Use these to base my planning on.]

Hope that helps x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)