Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Need A Fab S&l Circle Activity - How Does This Sound?

We are being observed tomorrow by someone connected to speech and language (not quite sure who, but my boss has asked for a good circle activity). We have decided to go with Night and Day, so I was thinking of introducing the story of 'Whatever Next' using a cardboard box and a bear as the focus and encouraging the children to speak about the use of the box. Our children have a very short sitting down span, so it would need to be quick but interesting if you see what I mean?

How does this sound? Any ideas? I'm really struggling with this one and have only got until tomorrow to plan something fantastic! Thanks :o

Peace at Last is a good one for night and day. There are lots of sounds that keep Mr bear awake which you can talk about. You can also get them to think about the different sounds that they might hear/can hear. Additionally there is a lot of rhyming words in the text which you could pick out if they are capable of distinguishing these. :o

whatever next fits as the bear goes to the moon

moon night , how do we know its day?

the box because it is in the story

i think it is a good story and well loved, maybe ask the children for another ending

i think for good communication for children happens through out the morning or afternoon session not just at story

which i fell if held in a large group is not condusive to each child being able to communicate well and each have a turn

I would have a small story group for this actvity

let children have more turns at talking than you

I'd try to go for smaller groups rather than all the children. I've used this story and a box big enough for a child to climb in. I told them the best listener could have a turn in the box. I asked them to close their eyes at the bit when the bear goes up the chimney and into space. I then got them, with eyes still closed, to tell me what they could see (dark, stars, moon). The chn then opened their eyes and did a bit of imaginative movement pretending to be on the moon. We finished with taking turns in the box and saying where we would like to fly to/what the box could be. Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)