Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! What Do You Know About The Workings Of Local Government?

HappyMaz

I am grappling with our Borough's proposal for the Single Funding Formula, and the letter I received with the information pack says "this paper is currently subject to the statutory 'call-in' period following Cabinet's approval..."

I've binged and googled and even wikied (Mrs Weasley showed me how!) but can only find reference to the call in periods of other briefing papers from other authorities.

Do any of you clever people know what this 'call in period' is for? The letter goes on to say that the consultation period begins at the end of the call-in period (which is today), and I know that this is the important part for me to take notice of so that I get my responses in on time. However I'm just a bit concerned that this call in period might be important too.

You know the old saying: just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

So, any local government experts out there?

Maz

I think it is the time when although you might be able to get your hands on the document it is subject to approval from the LA in some form. So it might be changed before the official consultation begins. I'm really only guessing but does that seem to fit at all? I'll try to catch my dad later as he should know stuff like this as he used to work for LA.

That does sound plausible Holly, thank you. The call-in period has expired now anyway, but I hate it when I don't know things and most especially when the people who do know what things mean don't seem to think the knowledge is worth sharing!

Maz