Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside

We're just having our shelter for our outdoor classroom completed next week. I wondered how many of you, who have a free flow system in their Reception class, base themselve outside with a group of children? or do you supervise from inside?

We're just having our shelter for our outdoor classroom completed next week. I wondered how many of you, who have a free flow system in their Reception class, base themselve outside with a group of children? or do you supervise from inside?

We have free flow in our Reception but there always has to be an adult outside or the children can't go out, if something happened and you were inside you may not immediately be alerted?

I am lucky enough to be employed solely to plan and manage all activities outside, I am outside with the children all the time, helping and guiding where needed.

At the moment we always have someone supervising them because after having some building work done over the summer we have not got a secure fenced off area. Once we have got our fenced area there may be occasions when they are outside in that smaller area being supervised from within. If of course there is a large number of children out there an adult would then change to supervise. I really think it depends on your area, your children and how flexible your staff are as well as your heads opinion.

Our outside area is actually closer to where we are than the toilets are and it will not be a huge expanse. I also feels that most children rise to being given the responsibility of being outside without an adult as they feel grown up. Of course there are always some children that you would be worried about being outside unsupervised and in that situation you would need to use your professional judgement.

By the way I am probably so positive about it because our head is quite keen on them to have those opportunities.

Guest tinkerbell

we have an open door to the outside (secure fenced area) my HT is happy that small groups of children may be outside without an adult...we have large window overlooking the area.I or my TA also work/play outside withthe children but not all the time.

Tinkerbell

we have an open door to the outside (secure fenced area) my HT is happy that small groups of children may be outside without an adult...we have large window overlooking the area.I or my TA also work/play outside withthe children but not all the time.

Tinkerbell

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative/judgemental, our outside area is really big (which can be a disadvantage!) so there is no way children could be outside on their own. But yes, depending on the layout of your school, I guess I can see how it could work for some settings!

We have free flow too, but like some claire78baby we have to have an adult outside due to the expanse of the area.

Also, our children like being outside, if we are not out there we miss out on what they are doing. We get a lot of observations from the outside area. For example we are now doing a whole topic on water and rain because of the children's interest in the water tray outside!

If you are asking from a health and safety aspect though, I think it really depends on the size of your outside area and what you and your headteacher feels comfortable with! :o

Good luck!

Hi

Do you have a risk assessment for your outdoor area. I'm an NQT and am expected to do one but am really unsure where to start. Would really appreciate some help or pointing in the right direction for a sample one

Thanks

julescc272

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)