Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holidays At Last!

Hurrah! Hurrah! Holidays at last!!! :D:D

We have finished for the holidays today at long last!! :D:D

Just to say to everbody else-have a wonderful summer, no matter what the weather. :D:D

Will keep in touch over the break.

Linda

Hurrah! Hurrah! Holidays at last!!! :D:D

We have finished for the holidays today at long last!! :D:D

Just to say to everbody else-have a wonderful summer, no matter what the weather. :D:D

Will keep in touch over the break.

Linda

Another week for me!

Hi Linda -

Happy holidays! I've just been camping for the weekend - trust me to pick the single biggest two days of rainfall in the history of the world ever... :o

But we'll be here over the summer too, so when you've let off steam, let us know how you're going to start off the second thirty years in your nursery!

Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve

Well the next 30 years has not got off to the best of starts :unsure: :(

We finished on Friday afternoon on a real high note with loads of lovely gifts and cards from parents and children. Some of the comments the parents made were fantastic we were all in tears. It was a very emotional day.

I had decided to put some of the cards and letters into a folder for future parents to read and called back into pre-school on Saturday morning to collect them-only to find that our entrance way had been vandalised!!!! :oxD:(

Apparently there had been a private party in the church hall upstairs on Friday evening, about 30 13-15 year olds and I don't think it had been supervised. They had come downstairs and ripped three notice boards down and smashed them up, tearing up the notices which were on them. They had tried to kick down the doors into the pre-school but had been unsuccessful, thank goodness-it doesn't bear thinking about what they could have done if they had!! :wacko: They had smashed the windows and cracked our entrance door-so much so we are waiting for a new one to be fitted and new glass in the windows. A guy came out and made it all secure on Saturday.

So, as you can imagine I am not best pleased-but at least the church wardens have the name and address of the parent who hired the hall so perhaps some compensation might be forthcoming, although I am not holding my breath xD :rolleyes: The police weren't really interested, too much effort for such a small amount of damage in their opinion. He went off after being there for about 2 minutes saying he would be in touch but he hasn't!! So, they are going to get away with it by the looks of things :(

Anyway, onwards and upwards is the best way. So I am going to put it all behind me and look forward to a new term in September with the glowing comments from parents to read and make me feel much better :D

Linda

Sorry to hear about the vandalism. It is frustrating isn't it? :o Our nursery often gets trouble with vandals - smashing windows and damaging the roof. Still we struggle on and make the best for the children in our care.

Sue Z

I'm sorry to hear that Linda - It's difficult to know how to respond to be honest...

I think we lead a sheltered existence down here, reading your post and then hearing Sue say she suffers from vandalism regularly. It's a tribute to your spirit that you can refuse to let it get you down for long. I think it would turn me into a bitter and twisted hang em and flog em type if I had to suffer it regularly. You're better people than me I suspect!

Enjoy your holiday - and don't let them grind you down.

I'm so sorry to hear about the vandalism of your entrance. How frustrating for you. I know how maddening it feels when your property is frequently vandalised. This was something we suffered at the school I last worked at.

One memory I have is of the first summer after the school opened, when I was thrilled to get a grant from some obscure fund for plants. I spent the entire amount on seedlings, which I persuaded a contact to give me at cost, then spent an entire weekend sorting out baskets etc. The children then helped plant up 30 hanging baskets to put around the outside of the building. By Friday it looked fantastic.

I arrived at school on Monday morning to find a trail of broken bits of plant and compost across the playground. Every single one had been stolen! Anyway, the weirdest thing happened. During a very subdued assembly, a car pulled up on the playground, a lady got out, and unloaded 29 hanging baskets. Not a word was said, and she drove off. We had no idea who she was.

We never found out, nor did we discover what happened to the one basket that wasn't returned. So, I learned that there is hope! Over the next few years the frequency of vandalism gradually diminished. I won't say it ceased entirely, but I did stop dreading what I'd see every Monday morning. We always said that once the children we had in the nursery were in secondary school, we'd see a difference as they'd have some good memories of primary school and some loyalty, and not want to do damage to us. It did seem to be the case. But it is sometimes an uphill battle!

Not much help, me reminiscing, but I hope that this is an isolated incident for you! :o

Hi Linda - sorry to hear about your trouble. I suppose it's something we occasionaly think about but hope won't happen. I have my own mobile classroom in the grounds of a primary school and sometimes wonder how much longer we can be 'vandal free'. The school itself has been mildly affected in recent months - stones thrown windows etc. Still we are insured and it's no good worrying. Can you claim on the church insurance?

I used to live in Altrincham - not too far from where you are. Does Stockport still have a market?

Hope you still enjoy your break.

Thank you all so much for your messages of support. I think this is probably one of the great things about this site-so many people to help, advise and support :D:D

Thankfully we don't get much in the way of vandalism in the actual building-usually just rubbish etc left outside. The group of teenagers using the building on the night the party took place were from out of the area-I feel that local kids might not have done the damage as a lot of them have been to the pre-school and would have some respect for that fact. I'm not saying the teenagers round here are angels, far from it, but they would have to see me and my staff at some point and would, I hope, have some sense of protection towards the group-we are all so well known round here.

Yes Jan Stockport still has its market, quite a good one at that. Altrincham has suffered somewhat in the town centre and isn't quite what it used to be.

Have a good summer

Linda