Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Display

Hi Guys,

My kids are starting on phase 2 phonics on our return, is it fine to incorporate letters and sounds with jolly phonics. I love the idea of using jolly phonics being so multi sensory etc? And another thing, i' reaally want to make my phonics display interactive to reinforce the letters learnt, and so that its a self chosen activity availble at all times. Has anyone done anything interactive already with some ideas. I was thinking of velcroing letters and they match it to the pics, but surely there must be something better than that out there.

Any ideas would be great

misspink xxx

Whilst there is no reason not to use the jolly phonics actions, you do need to be careful to keep the pronunciation of the sounds in line with letters and sounds otherwise this can cause a nightmare when the children move on (as I am now finding out as a year one teacher who has to try and undo damage done by the reception teacher sticking rigidly to Jolly Phonics because it's what she knows.) My children find it hard to blend some longer words because of this sound difference (it doesn't really show up with CVC words) particulary those containing l, m, and t. Of course this may just be her misinterpreting the Jolly Phonics sounds, but just something to bear in mind.

I have those small science mirror tiles as part of my interactive phonics display, and I use them during my sessions. The children make the sound whilst looking in the mirrors so they can see how their lips and tongue should look. This is something they can then practise independently later and they love it!

IF you have any money to throw at this it would be really useful to buy a set of those 'talking tins' or a 'talking book' from TTS - where you can record (and re-record) your own voice saying the phonemes correctly, alongside a set of objects with which children can interact and find as they hear the sound once they press the button on the tin/page. Children love them - as do Mr and Mrs O!

Jenni

Whilst there is no reason not to use the jolly phonics actions, you do need to be careful to keep the pronunciation of the sounds in line with letters and sounds otherwise this can cause a nightmare when the children move on (as I am now finding out as a year one teacher who has to try and undo damage done by the reception teacher sticking rigidly to Jolly Phonics because it's what she knows.)

There isn't any difference between the way phonemes are pronounced in Letters and Sounds and Jolly Phonics or Read and Write Inc or Letterland or THRASS or Lexia or any other phonics programme so I'm afraid the problem is with a teacher who doesn't understand phonics.

Gift boxes with large tactile letter on and a selection of small objects to sort into boxes

Washing line with letter cards to rearrange to make cvc words place paper and fancy pens nearby and give a prize to the child (or children) who make the most words from the letters provided.

we do rainbow letters, its lto help them with letter formation when they have learnt a new sound and they form it using lots of different chalks/pastels etc and then i stcik them on to a rainbow i have on the wall x

Thankyou all very very much, some excellent ideas there. We have those talk postcard things, what a great idea. Also the gift boxes and washing line Marion, brill ideas. Ofsted are looming so willl get it all up and running next week.

xxx

Hi,

We bought a knowledge tree ( i think thats what it's called) from TTS for about £35 but it has been one of the best resources I have ever got. It can only be described as something that looks like a tree with crocodile clips on the end - we also have those sqidgy sparkly letter things which we clip to the tree and the children sort pictures and put them on the clips, we also put pictures on it, like cat etc and leave out writing materials for them to write the word and clip to it; we have put HFW on it and asked the children to clip pairs of the word together; in fact we use it every day and they love it. I probably haven't decribed it very well, but if you go to TTS I think you might be able to decipher what I am warbling on about.

Nicky

PS I use JP with Letters and Sounds and it works brilliantly - just bought Singing Phonics 2 by Helen McGregor - the children love the songs!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)