Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Post Office Role Play Area

Hi I am wanting to set up a post office role play area in my reception class and was wondering if anyone has made one before and has good ideas for resources and activities. We recently went on a journey to the post office, each child bought a stamp and posted a postcard to their friend. Our school's post man then came in and told us the journey that the postcard makes from the post box to our letter box.

I will ask the children for their ideas on what we should include but I'm in need of some inspiration really. :o

I went to the local post office and bought 100 1p stamps. When the guy looked puzzled, I explained what I wanted them for and he said in that case I could take as many leaflets and forms from the shelf as I wanted!

We also had weighing scales, and small boxes to wrap with brown paper. Lots of writing materials, old birthday/greetings cards to buy and write in, paper and envelopes, cash register, play money.

We have a realistic looking red post box to post letters in and empty out for delivery (but you could easily make one from a cardboard box), and had bags for children to be postmen.

We had a map of the world to show where the various chldren in our setting come from, so we could see where the parcel to Oma in Germany (for example) would actually go.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

Hi Kat

you can see a photo of the post office that we had last year in members gallery on page 4 in role play ideas

we had pretty much the things that Carolyn had in hers plus car tax forms/ cheque books/ pension books! (we made our own) passports (children especially enjoyed making these up.

We also created little pigeon holes were the children could post idividual letters to their friends (we made these with mini cereal boxes (the variety pack type) stuck together with the children's names on)

Guest Sycamore

Hi

Have done this too and as well as all the things already mentioned I went to CBBC website and on the Postman Pat link there are passport, road tax and TV licences you can print out. They are child friendly and we photocopied them and laminated them so they could be used over and over again.

My class loved this topic and I used to find letters and postcards all over the classroom! A great reason to write!

Hope this helps.

We did this just before Christmas and did much the same as everyone else. The used a table and window sill in the role play area and made a Sorting Office - We used the small plastic tubs that the cherry tomatoes come in (Free fruit for schools) and put the alphabet on them - the window sill was just big enough for thirteen of these boxes so we had A-B, C-D, etc. The children loved taking the Christmas cards out of the post office and sorting them. It also made giving out Christmas cards at the end of the day much easier (depending on who had sorted them!!)

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)